network

Old September 14th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Werner

Default network

Hi,
I have two computers networked together by cable.
I now want to go broadband with wireless.
Will the wireless network work alongside with the cable network or do I have
to remove the existing cards and start from scratch.
Many thanks for any advices or comments,
Peter

To reply please remove nospam from my address.

PW Draughting
Tel +44 (0)1883 347223 Fax Please ring first.

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed.
Accordingly, P W Draughting disclaims all responsibility and accepts no
liability (including in negligence) for the consequences for any person
acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt
by those persons of subsequent written confirmation. If you have received
this E-Mail message in error, please notify me immediately by telephone.
Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.
Mail to

Old September 14th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:44:04 +0100, "Peter Werner"
wrote:

Hi,
I have two computers networked together by cable.
I now want to go broadband with wireless.
Will the wireless network work alongside with the cable network or do I have
to remove the existing cards and start from scratch.
Many thanks for any advices or comments,

You've got two choices:

1) use the existing network, then have one of the computers connect to
ADSL, presumably using the crappy ADSL modem they supply, and enable
Internet Connection Sharing so that the other computer can also access
the Internet via the first computer.
Advantages: cheap and some say less pfaffing around
Disadvantage: you need the computer with the modem to be on before the
other can use the Internet.

2) buy an ADSL modem / router combo, disconnect both computers from
each other and connect them to the router, connect the router to the
phone line.
Advantages: best solutin I think - provides independence of devices,
you don't need one computer on for the other to work
Disadvantages: the cost of the router

You pays your money and takes your pick.

--
Remove .lartsspammers to reply by email.

Old September 14th 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Peter Werner wrote:
Hi,
I have two computers networked together by cable.
I now want to go broadband with wireless.
Will the wireless network work alongside with the cable network or do I have
to remove the existing cards and start from scratch.

Chances are, the router you select will have 4 ethernet ports so you can
hardwire 4 machines into the router, in addition to the x clients that
you can have wireless.

One solution would be to hardware the two PCs direct into the router.

What is the purpose of the wireless ? Is it to get broadband to two PCs
at their (relative) remote distance from your telephone socket (and each
other ?) If you want to share your broadband via wireless means, you'll
need a wireless card in each of the PCs - then your router can go
(almost) anywhere.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old September 14th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

wrote:

I now want to go broadband with wireless.
Will the wireless network work alongside with the cable network or do I have
to remove the existing cards and start from scratch.

Apologies I misread this.

You would need a wireless modem/router and you would then need
wireless network cards for your computers - PCI cards, USB adaptors
(not recommended) or PC cards for laptops.

You could leave your old network cards in or take them out, won't make
much difference

--
Remove .lartsspammers to reply by email.