newbie question

Old September 14th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnnie Scott

Default newbie question

about to change my dialup to asdl, what do I need, I know about the modem
but what is a router, is it needed for one computer. Has anyone used
http://portal.v21.co.uk/ they seem very cheap

Thanks
John in Kent

---

Old September 14th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Johnnie Scott" wrote in message
about to change my dialup to asdl, what do I need, I know about the modem
but what is a router, is it needed for one computer. Has anyone used
http://portal.v21.co.uk/ they seem very cheap

For one pc a modem is adequate

Old September 14th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Johnnie Scott" wrote:

what is a router, is it needed for one computer.

A router links one network to another and can make all PCs on someone's
home LAN (or just one!) appear as one PC connection to the ISP and from
the 'internet'. Not strictly needed, but router offer some advantages,
in that they can keep the connection even while you reboot your PC (so
you can be using the internet as soon as your PC is ready, not needing
to wait for a connection to your ISP), typically block many hackers as
the NAT (network address translation, used to share one internet addr.
with 5, 10, 50 local PCs) accepts traffic in response to your outgoing
requests, so if you make a connection to www.example.com then traffic
from www.example.com on port 80 comes in, but somewhere else sending
on any port will usually be blocked (pings may show the router is up,
and you need to consider security of the router as some allow remote
access to the web page control interface). Overall, if you can buy
one, I'd recommend it, but if you are given a USB modem, then you'll
'get on' fine (and ensure you have a good firewall as you are a bit
more vulnerable to attacks). Peter M.

Old September 15th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

The routers that are referred to are better referred to as ADSL modem/routers
because they are routers with and ADSL modem interface built in. (There are many
routers that dont contain this function)

There are also PCI ADSL modems.

My experience of USB ADSL modems has rather put me of them. But they are
inexpensive, easy to install (apart from the debugging) and the modem lights are
useful.

My reason for getting the USB modem was that it was free from Pipex,and there
was a chance that my line would not work as it is above the 60db limit. I Intend
to upgrade to a router so that I can connect more than on PC. The USB modem will
then be a backup and will help me to identify whether any problems are due to my
equipment or BT/Pipex.

Michael Chare