question about networking

Old September 14th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chancellor of the Duchy of Besses o' th' Barn

Default question about networking

Sorry- this is more a hardware question, but I thought someone here
would be helpful. I have a zoom x3 ethernet modem and router, which I've
connected to a mac powerbook. Works great. I'd like to run another mac
powerbook on the same adsl connection. My understanding is that this is
supported by the modem, but I need to purchase an additional piece of
hardware. What do I need to get to network the other computer?

TIA,

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old September 14th 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

Sorry- this is more a hardware question, but I thought someone here
would be helpful. I have a zoom x3 ethernet modem and router, which
I've connected to a mac powerbook. Works great. I'd like to run
another mac powerbook on the same adsl connection. My understanding
is that this is supported by the modem, but I need to purchase an
additional piece of hardware. What do I need to get to network the
other computer?

TIA,

David

How many ethernet ports does the router have? If it has more than one, you
simply need an ethernet cable between a spare port and your other computer.

If it only has one port, you need a hub with at least 3 ports (I think they
all have at least 5 in practice). Connect the router to one port ** and each
computer to one other port and - hey presto - you have an instant network
with shared internet connection!

**The cable between the router and the hub *may* need to be a cross-over
type rather than being wired straight through, depending on whether or not
any of the ports are auto sensing.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 14th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Sorry- this is more a hardware question, but I thought someone here
would be helpful. I have a zoom x3 ethernet modem and router, which
I've connected to a mac powerbook. Works great. I'd like to run
another mac powerbook on the same adsl connection. My understanding
is that this is supported by the modem, but I need to purchase an
additional piece of hardware. What do I need to get to network the
other computer?

TIA,

David

How many ethernet ports does the router have? If it has more than one, you
simply need an ethernet cable between a spare port and your other computer.

Just the one. It said on the box I'd need to by a hub- I was just
wondering what that entailed.

If it only has one port, you need a hub with at least 3 ports (I think they
all have at least 5 in practice). Connect the router to one port ** and each
computer to one other port and - hey presto - you have an instant network
with shared internet connection!

OK- sounds easy. BTW, will that connect the computers to each other (via
appletalk) or just to the internet?

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old September 14th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

OK- sounds easy. BTW, will that connect the computers to each other
(via appletalk) or just to the internet?

David

It will connect them together as well as to the internet. You'll need advice
from Apple experts on how to configure the PCs to talk to each other - I
only know about Windows networking.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 14th 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

OK- sounds easy. BTW, will that connect the computers to each other
(via appletalk) or just to the internet?

David

It will connect them together as well as to the internet. You'll need advice
from Apple experts on how to configure the PCs to talk to each other - I
only know about Windows networking.

Thanks- I've connected apples before, when networked- it's quite easy.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net