free news servers?

Old September 14th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Pearson

Default free news servers?

With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

thanks

Neil

Old September 14th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:36:44 +0100, "Neil Pearson"
wrote:

With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

thanks

Neil

try http://news.individual.net

It's German but is fully useable in the UK. You need to request a
login via email which can take a few days to arrive.

A large percentage of posters use this service.

--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Old September 14th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Williams

"Neil Pearson" wrote in message
With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to

be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text

only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

thanks

Neil

Do a search for

news.individual.net

sign up, they email you and voila free news, very fast and good service

Old September 14th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

wrote:

With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

My search gave a link to a whole bunch of free servers - suggest you
type "free newserver" into Google again.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old September 14th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike O'sullivan

wrote:

With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to

be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text

only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

thanks

Neil

try http://news.individual.net

It's German but is fully useable in the UK. You need to request a
login via email which can take a few days to arrive.

A large percentage of posters use this service.

Agreed. They have groups which BT ignore.

Old September 14th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tfp ntl

"Neil Pearson" wrote in message
With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to

be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text

only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

Not free, 20 quid, I signed up a while ago after getting totally p'd off
with ntl.

Service, speed has been excellent...

Old September 15th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Pearson

try http://news.individual.net

It's German but is fully useable in the UK. You need to request a
login via email which can take a few days to arrive.

A large percentage of posters use this service.

Thanks to all - registration was quick and I'm up and running.

Old September 15th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Wheatley

www.gradwell.com/usenet/

Old September 22nd 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Suzanne

"Ken Wheatley" wrote in message
"Neil Pearson" wrote in message
With the imminent loss of my dial up account, it looks like I'm going to

be
stuck for newsgroup access and a quick search around on Google has proved
fruitless...

Any recommendations for a free newserver? - I'm only interested in text

only
groups, and they're mainly based in the UK.

freenews.netfront.net - no log in required. Might be a useful backup.