Netgear DG834 V2

Old September 14th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Man With No Name

Default Netgear DG834 V2

Has anyone got a Netgear DG834 V2 router?
I am thinking of buying one just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions
on it.
I can only find it on 2 online stores at the moment and broadband buyer
seems the cheapest. Anyone know of any others?

TIA

--
'In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King'

Old September 14th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Try http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 14th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Man With No Name

Thanks but wrong one im looking for the V2 he

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...0ADSL%20Router

Old September 15th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Man With No Name" wrote in message
Has anyone got a Netgear DG834 V2 router?
I am thinking of buying one just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions
on it.
I can only find it on 2 online stores at the moment and broadband buyer
seems the cheapest. Anyone know of any others?

If its anything like the DG834G (wireless version) which I suspect it is, I
believe there is absolutely no difference between the original model and the
V2 apart from looks. From what I've seen and read (look at www.netgear.com)
the V2 seems to come in this possibly smaller white looking case and the
aerial on the back looks larger but that might be because the case is
smaller anyway. No functional difference otherwise.

Andy

Old September 15th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:34:58 +0100, "Man With No Name"
wrote:

Has anyone got a Netgear DG834 V2 router?
I am thinking of buying one just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions
on it.
I can only find it on 2 online stores at the moment and broadband buyer
seems the cheapest. Anyone know of any others?

As another poster has pointed out there is functionally no difference
from the DG834G (V1) other than one is in a white case and one is in a
silver case. You'll probably pay more for the newer design though
because retailers are good like that.

The silver DG834G you can buy virtually anywhere, for example Ebuyer
is 20 cheaper than Broadband Buyer.

As someone that has owned one of these units for at least six months I
have had a pretty good experience with it. I've upgraded the firmware
from v1.03 to 1.04 and more recently 1.05 - each time without
incident.

Last time I powered off the router it was to move some furniture. Up
time since then approx 600hrs. At the time it was switched off up
time was over 900hrs. The previous time it was re-started was during
the upgrade to the latest firmware. It has therefore worked for
1500hrs since the upgrade without requiring a restart - so stability
does not seem to be an issue.

I get a good signal anywhere within my house, which is modern and
small and made of drywalls, so I'd be ****ed off if I didn't. Outside
the building the signal really does not go very far, so punching
through a triple skinned house is obviously not its strong point. On
the up side anyone trying to hack into my set up would have to be
parked on my drive to do so - and I'd probably notice! In any case,
I'm using MAC address filtering and WPA-PSK happily so the network is
more than adequately secured for a home set up.

The interface is not beautiful exactly, but it is neat and easy to
use. The router's features are at least on a par with other similar
consumer units.

Hope this helps.
Old September 15th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Simon Pleasants wrote:

: The silver DG834G you can buy virtually anywhere, for example Ebuyer
: is 20 cheaper than Broadband Buyer.

That's plain wrong!!! DG834G (including free laptop card offer) is
97..15 at broadbandbuyder and 93.66 ay Ebuyer - hardly 20!!
Old September 15th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
Simon Pleasants wrote:

: The silver DG834G you can buy virtually anywhere, for example Ebuyer
: is 20 cheaper than Broadband Buyer.

That's plain wrong!!! DG834G (including free laptop card offer) is
97..15 at broadbandbuyder and 93.66 ay Ebuyer - hardly 20!!

I bought mine from Amazon when they also had the free USB adaptor offer as
well and I used the free super saver delivery option to get it for around
93 all in so if you are not desperate for a quick delivery, I'd recommend
Amazon.

Andy

Old September 15th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Man With No Name

Thanks chaps
I was asking about the wired version under the new versions the wireless is
called DG834G V2 and the wired one is called DG834 V2. Like people are
saying there is no difference in features, the V2 is just a cosmetic rebrand
as stated by netgear. Anyhow I like the look of it and I know people have
very little problems with the old version so I'm going to buy a version 2.
74.33 inc VAT and Del from broadband buyer none of the big Etailers have
got it yet.

The only thing that bothers me is Netgear's 'Indian' Tech support and I
hate speaking to those call centres cos I just end up throwing a fit at
them.. but that's life.

Old September 15th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sergio Masci

Simon Pleasants wrote:

: The silver DG834G you can buy virtually anywhere, for example Ebuyer
: is 20 cheaper than Broadband Buyer.

That's plain wrong!!! DG834G (including free laptop card offer) is
97..15 at broadbandbuyder and 93.66 ay Ebuyer - hardly 20!!

I bought mine from Amazon when they also had the free USB adaptor offer as
well and I used the free super saver delivery option to get it for around
93 all in so if you are not desperate for a quick delivery, I'd recommend
Amazon.

Andy

Amazon is now selling the DG834 (v2) for 63 including p&p (2 to 3 days
supersaver delivery).

Old September 16th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:34:17 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

Simon Pleasants wrote:

: The silver DG834G you can buy virtually anywhere, for example Ebuyer
: is 20 cheaper than Broadband Buyer.

That's plain wrong!!! DG834G (including free laptop card offer) is
97..15 at broadbandbuyder and 93.66 ay Ebuyer - hardly 20!!

My apologies if this is so. When I checked Broadband buyer there was
an advert on the very first page for the DG834G at 97.15+VAT (114.15
inc). Today that is showing as 97.15 including VAT so perhaps they
had a temporary pricing error. At 114 the unit would be 20 more
than the Ebuyer price, hence the 20 reference.

It is also 93.99 on Misco but with free next day delivery which is a
substantial improvement on Ebuyer's 5 next week delivery.