OT ish Best price for Cat5e 300m stranded?

Old September 14th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Default OT ish Best price for Cat5e 300m stranded?

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 14th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)

Is this what u are after
25.95 +5.95 postage
They do all the connectors and boxes etc as well;.
if you spend 45 or more, u get free delivery.

Old September 15th 04, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

SwissTony wrote:
"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)

Is this what u are after
25.95 +5.95 postage
They do all the connectors and boxes etc as well;.
if you spend 45 or more, u get free delivery.

Thanks :-)

They have now also been sent a the standed or solid question - guess
I'll know tomorrow.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 15th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

Try the yellow pages for electricians or electrical engineers. I tried a local
one a few years back and got 50metres for about 5 incuding ends. Cheaper as
they buy in mass amounts and can cut to your requirements.

Old September 15th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Beck wrote:
"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

Try the yellow pages for electricians or electrical engineers. I tried a local
one a few years back and got 50metres for about 5 incuding ends. Cheaper as
they buy in mass amounts and can cut to your requirements.

Thanks for the advice :-)

And just to report back, the redstore price was for Solid cable, not
stranded.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 15th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Meurig Freeman wrote:

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

various colours of stranded in 100 mtr reels from lioncom.co.uk (grey at
32.15 + VAT.) No stock of longer cable though.

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old September 15th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)

I think the screwfix one is solid core as the price of stranded is over
double the price
http://www.homestead.co.uk/ftp085.htm

can i ask why you need stranded???

Old September 15th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)

Pretty good price from here http://www.netshop.co.uk/wts085.htm
not sure about p&p though

Old September 15th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

SwissTony wrote:
"Meurig Freeman" wrote in message

I'm looking for 300m of stranded cat5e, the cheapest place I've found is
redstore.com at 33.01 inc. vat delivered, but it doesn't specify if
this is solid or stranded and their sales are being slow to reply
(emailed this morning).

If anyone knows whether this is stranded or solid, or knows of a better
offer, I'd be very grateful.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)

Pretty good price from here http://www.netshop.co.uk/wts085.htm
not sure about p&p though

Just heard back from screwfix and yes, as you say it is solid - this is
getting a little repetitive.

I was looking for stranded because I thought it would be about the same
price - I've got solid running around the house and wanted to make up a
bulk quantity of patch & crossover cables for myself and customers. The
flexibility of stranded would be niceas it might last longer, for me
it's not worth paying double for though.

Thanks for everyones help - if i do find a great price I'll report back,
but I hold out little hope.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 16th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , Meurig Freeman
writes
I was looking for stranded because I thought it would be about the same
price - I've got solid running around the house and wanted to make up a
bulk quantity of patch & crossover cables for myself and customers.
The flexibility of stranded would be niceas it might last longer, for
me it's not worth paying double for though.

I have some faint recollection that you need special RJ45 plugs to fit
to solid core - and that most of the plugs you can buy are for stranded.
You may therefore find it a false economy to buy solid core cable to
make patch cables.

Usually, solid is used for fixed wiring and stranded for patch cables -
as you infer in your messages.

David
--
David Wood