More fax queries

Old September 15th 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default More fax queries

I was wondering if it is possible to use Winfax on BB. I know on ISDN
you can use a CAPI device but is it possible with a Netgear 834 router &
BB, or will I have to get a seperate dial up modem for this?

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 15th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David G [email protected] wrote:

I was wondering if it is possible to use Winfax on BB. I know on ISDN
you can use a CAPI device but is it possible with a Netgear 834
router & BB, or will I have to get a seperate dial up modem for
this?

You can't use fax software directly with ADSL (where would it dial to?)

You *can* use an ordinary fax/modem plugged into a telephone socket (so as
to use the voice part of the line) and normal fax software will work. But if
you receive a lot of faxes, this might tie up your voice line too much -
particularly if you have previously used Home Highway with a separate number
for fax.

Many BB users make use of various (usually free) Fax-to-Email facilities for
incoming faxes. For example, with a PlusNet ADSL account it is a free option
(but you have to request it). You are issued with an 0870 number to which
faxes can be sent. These are automatically converted to emails and sent to a
designated email address - with the original fax appearing as an attachment
in .TIFF format.

There are third-party fax-to-email facilities which work mush the same.

For *outgoing* faxes you have the choice of using your fax modem on the
voice line or of using an email-to-fax facility such as iddd.tpc.int [See
http://www.tpc.int/faxbyemail.html ]
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 15th 04, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.
What I was wondering was whether any routers had a facility to filter to
the analogue line, I suppose a built in analogue modem, but from what
you say I suppose they do not.

I am aware of the fax to email receive and will probably sign up to one
of them

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 15th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David G [email protected] wrote:

Thanks for the info.
What I was wondering was whether any routers had a facility to filter
to the analogue line, I suppose a built in analogue modem, but from
what you say I suppose they do not.

I don't quite understand what you mean - but I'm sure that the answer is
"no"!

Even if a router did provide a method of connecting an analog modem to the
line, it would still tie up the voice circuit when in use. If you want to
use an analog fax/modem, you just plug it into a (filtered) phone socket.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 15th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Tiscali Tim wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean - but I'm sure that the answer is
"no"!

Even if a router did provide a method of connecting an analog modem to the
line, it would still tie up the voice circuit when in use. If you want to
use an analog fax/modem, you just plug it into a (filtered) phone socket.

Yes sure it would be on the voice line, I just thought it would be
neater to have a combined unit - already have too much clobber on my
desk. But as you say the answer is probably no.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 15th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tiscali Tim wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean - but I'm sure that the
answer is "no"!

Even if a router did provide a method of connecting an analog modem
to the line, it would still tie up the voice circuit when in use. If
you want to use an analog fax/modem, you just plug it into a
(filtered) phone socket.

Yes sure it would be on the voice line, I just thought it would be
neater to have a combined unit - already have too much clobber on my
desk. But as you say the answer is probably no.

If it's an internal modem inside your computer it won't add to the clutter -
it will just be one extra wire going to a phone socket.

If you use an email-to-fax facility, you won't even need an internal modem
and its associated cable.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 15th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Tiscali Tim wrote:

If it's an internal modem inside your computer it won't add to the clutter -
it will just be one extra wire going to a phone socket.

If you use an email-to-fax facility, you won't even need an internal modem
and its associated cable.

Thanks - point taken

--
Regards