VERY slow UPLOAD speed

Old September 15th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony H.

Default VERY slow UPLOAD speed

Below is a copy of an email sent to BT today, detailing a problem with the
slow uploads which is causing me increasing concern, especially in light of
BTs inability to respond or fulfil the terms of their complaints policy.

******************Start*********************

I am writing to you in the hope that the situation summarised below will
receive the urgent attention of a manager as stated in your Complaints
Policy document.

My problem is a slow upload speed of 64kbps, (the download is good at
576kbps), which was originally reported to you via email on 3 September.

Having now invested a considerable amount of time and energy into resolving
this matter, including about six hours in front of my computer carrying out
various tests and a half day at home on the 9th with the engineer, I am
still no further forward in terms of resolution.

I have spoken to 11 different technical support personnel in the last 12
days and only once spoken to the same person again. The conversation is
essentially the same; apologise, ask me the same questions as a previous
colleague, check the line do some sort of test, confirm that the upload
speed is running at about 25% of what it should be, say they'll look into it
and then I never hear from them again. The exception is a lady called Ann
who I think is trying to get the modem exchanged, which involves me
returning the 'faulty' unit although we don't know it is actually faulty),
buying and paying for a new modem on line and trying that. But I am still
waiting for this to happen and I don't know if this is will fix the problem
or if we're just best guessing?

I have at your request removed all other telecom. equip. from the lines,
replaced the filters on all the equipment, done a factory reset of the
modem, run a spyware programme, uninstalled my AVG antivirus software,
conducted numerous speed test reports and posted the results back for
further 'investigation' - all of which have taken considerable time and to
no discernible benefit.

I am fed up with being bounced from BT Yahoo to BT Broadband and back again,
surely there is some formal interface between the two operations which could
collectively work on the issue? What I need is someone to own the problem
and follow through to a satisfactory solution, which I don't think is asking
too much. It is disgraceful that I am paying full price for a service that
is only being partially provided, but what annoys me even more is the fact
that I appear to be no nearer a resolution today than I was when I first
reported the problem. All someone needs do to understand my frustration, is
ask themselves how they would feel if they received this level of service .

BT Broadband say that the line has been checked at the exchange on the 8th
and confirmed that the 'lines are clean, no errors. However the engineer was
only able to check the download speed (576kbps) which is not the problem. He
suggested that the modem supplied by yourselves may be at fault and that he
was also going to write his report to recommend a 'lift and shift' at the
exchange. However since then I have heard nothing more and as the problem
remains unresolved I assume his recommendations have been ignored.

In the last 48hrs I have had three phone calls from Technical Support
personnel, asking the same questions, saying the same lines, but failing to
deliver on the commitments you list in your complaints policy. It is little
wonder that the tabloid press relish stories of such inefficiency and
ineptitude from one of our supposedly flagship British companies, from my
personal experiences over the last few weeks I think they have a point! As
you can see from the tone of this email I am getting more and more annoyed,
simply because I don't think anyone is interested in resolving this
acknowledged problem, rather hoping it will go away - well it won't, because
I will pursue this vigorously to a conclusion - I have no choice, other than
cancelling my agreement with you, which I see as a last resort.

I am therefore contacting you in the Complaints Department to see if one of
your managers referenced in the complaints policy will own this problem, see
it through to a conclusion and enable me to receive the services for which I
am paying.

I can be contacted at anytime on 07970 272754.

For information. reference numbers quoted have been BT Yahoo - 9257478 &
9260346, BT Broadband - 12626993.

I look forward to your early reply.

Tony Hodson

******************************
e:
m: 07970 272754

Old September 16th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:24:45 +0000 (UTC), "Tony H."
wrote:

Below is a copy of an email sent to BT today, detailing a problem with the
slow uploads which is causing me increasing concern, especially in light of
BTs inability to respond or fulfil the terms of their complaints policy.

[snip]

This actually raises the question as having subscribed to a '512'
broadband service what is your *ENTITLEMENT* to actual download and
upload speeds before it is considered unacceptable?

I see from the ADSL Guide that Demon provide 437.8 Kbps / 229.4 Kbps
whereas from Zen Internet 455.3 Kbps / 238.3 Kbps - Does one complain
to Demon this is not good enough if Zen can provide higher speeds?

Of course I would be more than a little bit peaved if my upload speed
was 64kbps, but what if this suddenly became the norm? After all, the
hype is always on download speeds [10* faster etc] but rarely is
anything said about upload speeds.

David Bradley

Old September 16th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I agree with the point you make where the difference in speeds is marginal.

However in this case the speed is approx. 25% of what is the 'norm' and
therefore clearly not fit for purpose. Trying to get a fix...now that's a
whole different 'can of worms'!

Regards

Tony H.

Address spam-trapped, please remove shoes to reply

Old September 17th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newton

I had a similar problem and got very good advice from this forum as I am not
a techie. I went to http://www.dslreports.com/tools downloaded Drtcp which
enables changes to TCP stack in conjunction with the tweak test and Voila it
was like a miracle. Did all the things you did my ISP (wanadoo) support were
absolutely useless. There is lots of helpful info on the site so give it a
go.

Paul