info for those previously beyond adsl limits

Old September 16th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default info for those previously beyond adsl limits

Phone rang, nobody there, it then rang again, nobody there. Light came on the
router yippee, then after a minute it went off again. Then for about 10 minutes
it went between off and yellow which was an indication it was trying to
synchronise with exchange but failing.
I waited... and voila! now connected with a solid green light.

Now down to the nitty gritty. When I was unable to get adsl before being out of
the limits, I was approximately 6.75km from the exchange with 65db (these
figures given to me by BTopenworld.

Today, these are the results from www.adslguide.org speedtest...

Downstream 465 Kbps (58.1 KB/sec) 502 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Then went on to download a trailer from RockstarGames at a steady 60KB/sec.

Fantastic. So glad it worked out and I hope these results give hope to others
previously out of the limits.

Old September 16th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome to the world of broadband AT LAST!!! :-)

Stephen

Old September 16th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Welcome to the world of broadband AT LAST!!! :-)

Can I stop whinging now?

Old September 16th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Welcome to the world of broadband AT LAST!!! :-)

Can I stop whinging now?

Not until you've got your router configured and the firmware updated! :-)

Stephen

Old September 16th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Welcome to the world of broadband AT LAST!!! :-)

Can I stop whinging now?

Not until you've got your router configured and the firmware updated! :-)

Well the state of play is the following...
Its a one ethernet port router plus usb as you know.
My laptop uses the ethernet.
My mums PC is using the USB. Going to pick up a hub later on today so my mum
can use ethernet instead as the usb is really slowing things down (well the pc,
not the connection).
The only problem so far is my Mums PC boot up time. Because it is windows 98
trying to search for network upon boot, the boot up time is really slow - about
4 minutes.
After asking a few questions around, people reckon that on the windows 98
machine I could specify an ip address rather than use dhcp. So I am thinking
the ip address should be 10.0.0.2 and the default gateway is 10.0.0.138. I
think thats correct. Also unsure as to whether I can configure the firewall on
this ST530 router. I login to the router but cannot see a setting for the
firewall.
Why would I want to update the firmware on this? If it aint broke, etc... ?

Old September 16th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Beck" wrote in message
Phone rang, nobody there, it then rang again, nobody there. Light came on

the
router yippee, then after a minute it went off again. Then for about 10

minutes
it went between off and yellow which was an indication it was trying to
synchronise with exchange but failing.
I waited... and voila! now connected with a solid green light.

I'm about 7.2km out from the exchange and my broadband should be going live
today. I will report back tomorrow on whether it works or not!!

Old September 16th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On
the ip address should be 10.0.0.2 and the default gateway is 10.0.0.138. I

I think thats the wrong way round

Dave

Old September 16th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
On
the ip address should be 10.0.0.2 and the default gateway is 10.0.0.138. I

I think thats the wrong way round

Its okay thanks, managed to get it working much better with dhcp and successful
install of the network card. Its been painful, but all sorted out now.

Old September 16th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

Welcome to the world of broadband AT LAST!!! :-)

Can I stop whinging now?

No - you'll get your new dB reading - say its only a few dB above 60 and why
can't you get 1MB

Regards
Sunil

Old September 16th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:46:02 +0100, Dave Stanton
wrote:

On
the ip address should be 10.0.0.2 and the default gateway is 10.0.0.138. I

I think thats the wrong way round

Why?

I know of at least two routers where the default address is
10.0..0.138.