Connection Speed

Old September 17th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Connection Speed

I have asked this question TWICE now but no one seems to have the decency to
answer, so I will try again. I have a Speedstream 3060 Internal Broadband
Modem which Windows tells me is connecting at 2.8Mbps - is this the true
speed of connection?

Old September 17th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Bales

Dave wrote:
I have asked this question TWICE now but no one seems to have the decency to
answer, so I will try again. I have a Speedstream 3060 Internal Broadband
Modem which Windows tells me is connecting at 2.8Mbps - is this the true
speed of connection?

HI,

What speed broadband service are you on?

Lee
Old September 17th 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Wheatley

"Dave" wrote in message
I have asked this question TWICE now but no one seems to have the decency

answer, so I will try again. I have a Speedstream 3060 Internal Broadband
Modem which Windows tells me is connecting at 2.8Mbps - is this the true
speed of connection?

Are you under the impression that somehow readers of this NG have a duty to
answer you?

Old September 17th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

but no one seems to have the decency to answer

perhaps no-one else has a similar card, has never heard of that card, and
therefore doesn't feel they can dismiss the reported figure with no chance
of being incorrect. 'decency' hardly comes into it... Do take a look at
some other newsgroups where you can find many random questions unanswered,
similarly on 'bb' services via websites, if it is some technical problem.

Personally, I'd say it is fibbing. You're paying for some speed, from your
ISP, and your speed can be checked (OK a bit of error is likely to creep
in, using www.adslguide.org 's speed test, but will confirm within reason
if the ISP is supplying a reasonable speed). In my case, one link to the
BT exchange is shown on my router as being 2288 kbps but I pay for 1000.
As it is a datastream service, the traffic is limited somewhere else in
the network connection, but it is working fast enough for now :-) PGM
Old September 17th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, I wrote:

shown on my router as being 2288 kbps

wrong ! It shows 2272 down 288 up hence my 2288 :-)
Old September 17th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CGA

Go to www.adslguide.org & use the speed checker there.

Old September 17th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Bales

CGA wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

I have asked this question TWICE now but no one seems to have the decency

answer, so I will try again. I have a Speedstream 3060 Internal Broadband
Modem which Windows tells me is connecting at 2.8Mbps - is this the true
speed of connection?

Go to www.adslguide.org & use the speed checker there.

Well, the line speed is always higher i believe its for network
overheads, my current speed of 512 says connected at 576, when i get 1mb
it will be 1152 (1.1mb). Obviously though if your not on 2mb broadband
my theory is out the window!

Lee
Old September 17th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:57:20 +0000 (UTC), "Dave"
wrote:

I have asked this question TWICE now but no one seems to have the decency to
answer

My Newsfeed shows that someone did reply to you at 23:18 on the 15th

and it would appear that you didn't have the decency to follow up...
--
FREE phonecalls with other TalkTalk customers: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/shopping/talktalk/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Old September 17th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

I am on BT Broadband - the "Basic" service. Often especially after an error
I get a message which says it is connected at 259Mbps but the normal speed
is 2.8Mbps

Old September 17th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Quinton wrote:

My Newsfeed shows that someone did reply to you at 23:18 on the 15th

Yes, from you quoting the message ID, I see that reply here, too...