Bittorrent

Old September 17th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy Entwistle

Default Bittorrent

I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Thank you
Joy

Old September 17th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:00:56 +0100, "Joy Entwistle"
wrote:

I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Erm, that is the point of BitTorrent - share and share alike.

What you are trying to do is called leeching and is bad.

BitTorrent is based on an upload to download ratio. The more you
upload the more you can download.

--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Old September 17th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ronny

"Joy Entwistle" wrote in message
I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Thank you
Joy

Download Azureus BT client, you can adjust your upload speed, what is
happening is BT is saturatong your upload and not allowing you to use your
download speed.

Changing to a decent client will allow you to set your upload speed to
around 80% of your max, this will then allow you to download faster.

You are only a leecher is you turn off file sharing altogether, in this case
you wont download much anyway

hth

Ronny

Old September 17th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy Entwistle

wrote:

I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Erm, that is the point of BitTorrent - share and share alike.

What you are trying to do is called leeching and is bad.

BitTorrent is based on an upload to download ratio. The more you
upload the more you can download.

--

Ahh I didnt know that, thanks for the help.

Old September 17th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CGA

"Joy Entwistle" wrote in message
I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Thank you
Joy

For Bittorrent your download is proportional to your upload, so if you
throttle your upload speed you're also throttling your download speed. It's
designed that way so you can't just snatch the file without sharing.

Old September 17th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

BitTorrent is based on an upload to download ratio. The more you
upload the more you can download.

Ahh I didnt know that, thanks for the help.

Congratulations, it sounds like you`ve done the decent thing and left the
torrent open after you completed :-) (it considerably helps out everyone
else)

Old September 17th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

CGA wrote:
"Joy Entwistle" wrote in message

I am currently on BB and am downloading a program from suprnova via
bittorrent. I have downloaded 400mb since yesterday afternoon but have
uploaded 845mb. Is this right? Is there any way just to download and not
upload.

Thank you
Joy

For Bittorrent your download is proportional to your upload, so if you
throttle your upload speed you're also throttling your download speed. It's
designed that way so you can't just snatch the file without sharing.

That might be a slight oversimplification, as I undersand it most
clients will favour uploading to people who they have downloaded from,
over people they have never seen. It is only favouring though,
uploading isn't manditory (you'd never get started otherwise), you'll
just get slow downloads if you don't.

Does everyone get the trouble that the 2:1 download to upload ratio on
ADSL means you only ever manage upload about 50% of what you download?
Ican only see this getting worse when I upgrade to 1Mbps.

Perhaps I should be downloading every minute of every day... (purely
linux distributions you understand... honest).

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 18th 04, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Does everyone get the trouble that the 2:1 download to upload ratio on
ADSL means you only ever manage upload about 50% of what you download?

Not really no, because the download speed can vary depending on who
you`re connected to - you might be hooked up to people with limits set on
their max upload speed, which is all being used on other torrents they
have on the go.

If you can, just leave it going for a while after its downloaded - if
that means it`ll be on overnight just uploading, great :-)