58db atten and still 'not suitable for 1Mbps'

Old September 17th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default 58db atten and still 'not suitable for 1Mbps'

All parties (BTW, the ISP (Eclipse) and our own router) confirm that the
downstream attenuation on our small-business line is 58db. But
apparently BT are telling the ISP that the line is not suitable for
1Mbps broadband.
Meanwhile, across the exchange area, another user who couldn't
originally even always get sync, and who has a downstream atten of 63db,
was recently upgraded (to 2 Mbps, he says!).

Is there another factor that BT take into account when deciding to
provision a service?
Is the fact that ours is a business line and the other guy's domestic
at all relevant?
Or can the provision of 1Mbps routes actually vary across an exchange
area? (The two locations are about 6km apart)

--
robert w hall
Old September 17th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

"robert w hall" wrote in message
All parties (BTW, the ISP (Eclipse) and our own router) confirm that the
downstream attenuation on our small-business line is 58db. But
apparently BT are telling the ISP that the line is not suitable for
1Mbps broadband.
Meanwhile, across the exchange area, another user who couldn't
originally even always get sync, and who has a downstream atten of 63db,
was recently upgraded (to 2 Mbps, he says!).

Is there another factor that BT take into account when deciding to
provision a service?
Is the fact that ours is a business line and the other guy's domestic
at all relevant?

I don't think the domestic thing is relevant because I have a standard
residential 512k service with Pipex and according to the information they
get from BT, I can't upgrade to 1Mb even although my line attenuation is 52
dB. However, my downstream noise margin is only 15dB so perhaps this is the
problem. I'm trying to contact BT to find out what the actual issue is.

Old September 17th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"robert w hall" wrote in message
All parties (BTW, the ISP (Eclipse) and our own router) confirm that the
downstream attenuation on our small-business line is 58db. But
apparently BT are telling the ISP that the line is not suitable for
1Mbps broadband.
Meanwhile, across the exchange area, another user who couldn't
originally even always get sync, and who has a downstream atten of 63db,
was recently upgraded (to 2 Mbps, he says!).

Is there another factor that BT take into account when deciding to
provision a service?
Is the fact that ours is a business line and the other guy's domestic
at all relevant?
Or can the provision of 1Mbps routes actually vary across an exchange
area? (The two locations are about 6km apart)

Line quality is taken into account. There are people who are under 3km from the
exchange but their line quality is so bad they will not get a service. Again,
on the reverse there are a few people who will get adsl who are just over the
limits.
The fact that you have business and the other guy has residential is irrelevent
as the service is the same (well technically)

Old September 17th 04, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Beck
writes

Line quality is taken into account. There are people who are under 3km from the
exchange but their line quality is so bad they will not get a service.

We've got a 512kbps service (it's usually Flex'd down to 256kbps) and
the SNR Margin is typically 14 to 21db - this doesn't of itself sound
marginal.

--
robert w hall
Old September 17th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"robert w hall" wrote in message
In article , Beck
writes

Line quality is taken into account. There are people who are under 3km from

the
exchange but their line quality is so bad they will not get a service.

We've got a 512kbps service (it's usually Flex'd down to 256kbps) and
the SNR Margin is typically 14 to 21db - this doesn't of itself sound
marginal.

See:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=

From what I have seen you should be OK for 1mb. It would be worthwhile posting
in the above forum. If your ISP will not help sometimes ADSLGUIDE themselves
will provide some assistance to get the situation clarified.

Michael Chare