Sharing ethernet and ADSL on 4-pair CAT5

Old September 17th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

Default Sharing ethernet and ADSL on 4-pair CAT5

Due to the layout of the house, I would like to use a single 4-pair CAT5
cable to carry an ADSL signal from my BT master socket to my ADSL
modem/router (using 1 pair) together with an ethernet connection (using 2
pairs) from my router to somewhere near the BT master socket..

Is this possible technically (eg, mutual interference?) or does it break the
(safety) rules about telephone wiring?

Thanks.

Old September 17th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

DMG wrote:
Due to the layout of the house, I would like to use a single 4-pair
CAT5 cable to carry an ADSL signal from my BT master socket to my
ADSL modem/router (using 1 pair) together with an ethernet
connection (using 2 pairs) from my router to somewhere near the BT
master socket..

Is this possible technically (eg, mutual interference?) or does it
break the (safety) rules about telephone wiring?

Thanks.

May cause degrading of the DSL signal due to crosstalk/SNR problems...

Old September 18th 04, 05:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Petri Krohn

"DMG" kirjoitti viestissä

Is this possible technically (eg, mutual interference?) or does it break
the (safety) rules about telephone wiring?

Yes, it is possible.

See: http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/mixed.html

--
Petri Krohn
petri. krohn [email protected] iki. FI(nland)