Router deliberations

Old September 17th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kev

Default Router deliberations

I've been looking at two routers : the DB834 and the Vigor 2600 Plus.

As a secure fire wall is the key priority, I'd settle for the former as it
has SPI and costs about 70 less than the Draytek. However, I've seen
several comments about it locking up from time to time and other comments
(see below in this ng) about firmware woes.

I could even buy this : NETGEAR DG834G V2 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router with
Wireless WG511 Card : for 100ish which is still quite a bit less than the
Draytek.

Any comments, please ?

Thanks

Old September 17th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Kev wrote:

I've been looking at two routers : the DB834 and the Vigor 2600 Plus.

As a secure fire wall is the key priority, I'd settle for the former
as it has SPI and costs about 70 less than the Draytek. However,
I've seen several comments about it locking up from time to time and
other comments (see below in this ng) about firmware woes.

I could even buy this : NETGEAR DG834G V2 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router
with Wireless WG511 Card : for 100ish which is still quite a bit
less than the Draytek.

Any comments, please ?

Thanks

I've got no experience of the Draytek - but most comments in this NG have
been favourable.

There have been a lot of mixed comments about the Netgear 834. There's a
thread running at the moment in this NG entitled "Netgear DG834G
Nightmare" - which is probably a little unfair. Most people who have had
problems seem to have got them sorted ok.

There are, of course, other alternatives. There have recently been some very
good offers on the 3Com 11g wireless router, bundled with an 11g wireless
PCMCIA card. I have been using this combination for a few months, and it
works a treat - especially now that 3Com have updated the setup utility for
the PCMCIA card, so that the security settings now talk the same language as
the router!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 17th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Kev wrote:

I've been looking at two routers : the DB834 and the Vigor 2600 Plus.

As a secure fire wall is the key priority, I'd settle for the former as it
has SPI and costs about 70 less than the Draytek. However, I've seen
several comments about it locking up from time to time and other comments
(see below in this ng) about firmware woes.

I could even buy this : NETGEAR DG834G V2 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router with
Wireless WG511 Card : for 100ish which is still quite a bit less than the
Draytek.

Any comments, please ?

Thanks

I don't know what SPI means, but the Lioncom Wireless Router works great for
me and has all the usual router facilities. Look on their site
www.lioncom.co.uk for the full spec and maybe SPI is on there.

I use their wireless usb instead of the cards on my laptop as I find them
more useful and cost 23 +

No doubt someone will inform me what SPI is for and why it is a useful
feature?

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old September 17th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Kev wrote:

I've been looking at two routers : the DB834 and the Vigor 2600 Plus.

As a secure fire wall is the key priority,

stick a Watchguard between your network and your router, a router no
matter how good is not going to have security as a priority

Old September 17th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Tiny Ramsden wrote:
Kev wrote:

[...]

Stateful Packet Inspection

"When an IP packet arrives at the firewall from the Internet, the firewall
must decide if it should be forwarded to the internal network. In order to
accomplish this the firewall "looks" to see what connections have been
opened from the inside of the network to the Internet. If there is a
connection open that applies to the packet that has arrived from the
Internet then it will be allowed through, otherwise it will be rejected.
This is known as stateful packet inspection. The firewall looks at the
source and destination IP addresses, the source and destination ports and
the sequence numbers to decide if the packet belongs to a current open
connection. "

-A firewall FAQ

Dominic

Old September 18th 04, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

"Kev" wrote in message
I could even buy this : NETGEAR DG834G V2 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router
with

Wireless WG511 Card : for 100ish which is still quite a bit less than the
Draytek.

There are several Draytek 2600s on eBay at the moment.
Save yourself a packet and still get the best.
That's where I bought mine.
Rgds
Alec

---

Old September 20th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

www.lioncom.co.uk
Are you recommending a company that you have a connection with?

Its been a while since I saw a flame war over him... do his terms and
conditions still break UK laws ?

Old September 21st 04, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Dominic" wrote in
:

Tiny Ramsden wrote:

Stateful Packet Inspection

snip

-A firewall FAQ

That definition sounds very like that of a consumer-grade NAT router,
and appears to add nothing.

My own view is that 'Stateful Packet Inspection' means exactly what
marketing people want it to mean

If anything, the 'State' that is referred to is the state of the TCP
connection, and that is defined in RFC 793. Pages 20-23 identify the
various states that a connection may be in. 'SPI' should check the
the flags in the packet to see if they match the state of the
connection. And that's it.

Of course, if you're in the market for redefining the terminology you
could expand the definition to include the ability to read and act
upon the contents of every packet. This then comes close to
application level inspection, and while it is possible for proxy
firewalls with significant engine power to do such filtering (for
viruses, email content etc) it is most unlikely that consumer grade
routers have this capability...

Does anyone have any real evidence of a successful attacks though a
properly configured NAT router? [excluding of course one that was
already compromised by malware already on the 'inside']

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.