NTL Upload speeds

Old September 17th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Higgs

Default NTL Upload speeds

Does anyone know the upload speeds for NTL set-top box cable service. In
particular the 750K one.
Old September 17th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dark Star

Simon Higgs wrote:
Does anyone know the upload speeds for NTL set-top box cable service. In
particular the 750K one.

I *think* it may be 128KBit but it may be more - I work on XDsl which is
256KBit or 288KBit according to the box of lies...

Old September 18th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Trotter

"Simon Higgs" wrote in message
Does anyone know the upload speeds for NTL set-top box cable service. In
particular the 750K one.

750k = 128k Upload
1.5mb = 256k Upload

Old September 18th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

I heard a rumour that 128 can possibly be 256 in some areas, to account for
the STB signal consumption, but a safe bet is 128 upload. Not the biggest,
but you don't really need a big upload speed unless you're uploading files
to 'yourself' on another PC ( I don't mean p2p) - OR if you're actualy using
P2P software, and if you're probably uploading/downloading copyrighted
material. But who cares really

Old September 18th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Higgs

Dave wrote:

I heard a rumour that 128 can possibly be 256 in some areas, to account for
the STB signal consumption, but a safe bet is 128 upload. Not the biggest,
but you don't really need a big upload speed unless you're uploading files

I'm sending e-mails with attachments. Sending mail feels like I'm still
using a modem. This is made worse by me using an IMAP account...I have
to send it and then send again to sync local and remote folders.

I've just used adslguide speed-test and it shows I have a 74K upload
speed.

S.
Old September 18th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kop

. ..

then Dave wrote:
I heard a rumour that 128 can possibly be 256 in some areas, to account for
the STB signal consumption, but a safe bet is 128 upload. Not the biggest,
but you don't really need a big upload speed unless you're uploading files
to 'yourself' on another PC ( I don't mean p2p) - OR if you're actualy using
P2P software, and if you're probably uploading/downloading copyrighted
material. But who cares really

I have a mate on NTL 750 with whom I use the "video conference" facility of
MSN Messenger. If he is generating *any* other traffic other than this
(e.g. visiting a web page, checking email), his transmitted picture and
sound gets badly distorted; I suspect this is due to his poor 128 upload.
No such problems on my 512/256 ADSL set up.

Stu
--
get rid of nospaam. when emailing