Line attenuation 58db down

Old September 17th 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default Line attenuation 58db down

I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and have managed
to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits of the
previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl before now.
Are router figures reliable?

Old September 18th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits
of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl
before now.

lol - what did I say.. you will be wanting 1MB next!

Are router figures reliable?

Depends - some are more reliable than others (soem can be 10 or more out I
believe)... according to your router it means you really have a dB reading
of about 54 - as having the ADSL line enabled adds about 4 to the dB
reading...

I don't have any experience of the speedtouch 530 and how accurate it is
but would have thought "pretty accurate" as it will be an Alcatel
chipset..

Regards
Sunil

I had an engineer install as I had to be converted from ISDN and the
engineer measured my dB reading accurately at the main phone socket as
9.6dB.

My SpeedTouch 530 reports it as 13dB so the figure reported is probably
quite accurate.

Stephen

Old September 18th 04, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Beck" wrote in message
I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and have managed
to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits of the
previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl before now.

BT had quite an elaborate procedure for assessing lines. Most of the assessment
was done be examining their records. They only actually measured lines in a few
marginal cases. Maybe their assessment was not accurate in your case!

No excuse though!

Michael Chare

Old September 18th 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits
of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl
before now.

lol - what did I say.. you will be wanting 1MB next!

hehe I am happy with what I have, but 2 extra a month would get the 1mb, why
not?
But then BT database says no, so its not an issue, just curious as to the
difference in figures.

Are router figures reliable?

Depends - some are more reliable than others (soem can be 10 or more out I
believe)... according to your router it means you really have a dB reading of
about 54 - as having the ADSL line enabled adds about 4 to the dB reading...

I don't have any experience of the speedtouch 530 and how accurate it is but
would have thought "pretty accurate" as it will be an Alcatel chipset..

Interesting that, so if someone did want Broadband at higher speeds and BT
definitely says no due to different figures, they are stuck and don't really
have an option but to be thankful for what they have :-)

Old September 18th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and have
managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits of the
previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl before now.
Are router figures reliable?

Not perfectly.
As a ballpark, two routers I plugged into my line agreed to within a dN.
Your line may also vary a bit in attenuation over time, so it could have been
over 60dB when they checked.

The figure they gave me before I think it is 65db

Old September 18th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Beck wrote:
I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the
limits of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get
adsl before now.
Are router figures reliable?

Not perfectly.
As a ballpark, two routers I plugged into my line agreed to within a
dN. Your line may also vary a bit in attenuation over time, so it
could have been over 60dB when they checked.

The figure they gave me before I think it is 65db

perhaps it had been raining?
Old September 18th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Beck wrote:
I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the
limits of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get
adsl before now.
Are router figures reliable?

Not perfectly.
As a ballpark, two routers I plugged into my line agreed to within a
dN. Your line may also vary a bit in attenuation over time, so it
could have been over 60dB when they checked.

The figure they gave me before I think it is 65db

perhaps it had been raining?

Possibly, but having failed to get broadband for 3 years with about 6 different
orders and they all fail, then they obviously had me marked over the limit
through sun, rain and snow.

Old September 18th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in message

I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits
of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl
before now.

lol - what did I say.. you will be wanting 1MB next!

hehe I am happy with what I have, but 2 extra a month would get the
1mb, why not?
But then BT database says no, so its not an issue, just curious as to
the difference in figures.

Could have been an error in BT's planning records, your Home Highway causing
an odd reading or BT have done some work on your local loop..

Interesting that, so if someone did want Broadband at higher speeds
and BT definitely says no due to different figures, they are stuck
and don't really have an option but to be thankful for what they have
:-)

If you wanted to apply for 1MB - get BT Yahoo to submit a "manual order" to
overide any incorrect/old reading stored in BT Wholesale's systems and
override the checker

Regards
Sunil

Old September 18th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message

I finally upgraded the firmware on my router (speedtouch 530) and
have managed to get a db reading.
It says my downstream attenuation is 58db which is within the limits
of the previous 512 limit. So I wonder why I could not get adsl
before now.

lol - what did I say.. you will be wanting 1MB next!

Are router figures reliable?

Depends - some are more reliable than others (soem can be 10 or more out I
believe)... according to your router it means you really have a dB reading
of about 54 - as having the ADSL line enabled adds about 4 to the dB
reading...

By this do you mean that when the dialtone is turned back on, the dB loss
rises?
If the dialtone is turned off, does the modem use more bands?
Old September 18th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
If you wanted to apply for 1MB - get BT Yahoo to submit a "manual order" to
overide any incorrect/old reading stored in BT Wholesale's systems and
override the checker

I don't think BTYahoo know what manual orders are, I tried that with them before
and they said no such thing exists.