Sorry next set of questions

Old September 18th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niaz Khan

Default Sorry next set of questions

After reading the Zen VS. Plusnet post - I have decided to go with plusnet
now for broadband.
My main worry was that the usenet service would not be as good as Zen - but
the price difference has prompted me to give plusnet a try first - if I
don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

This leads me to my next set of questions however.

I will be signing up initially to the 512k service on plusnet - I see an
option later to upgrade the speed to 1mb or 2mb but how much does it cost ?

Just wondering if I should start with a higher package 1mb or 2mb ?

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option but do
I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered on the plusnet
site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy usb modem for 34.99 ?

Could I also say thanks to the response received on my other posts.

Niaz Khan
'..getting old & still playing video games..'

Old September 18th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Niaz Khan" wrote in message
After reading the Zen VS. Plusnet post - I have decided to go with plusnet
now for broadband.
My main worry was that the usenet service would not be as good as Zen -
but
the price difference has prompted me to give plusnet a try first - if I
don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

Indeed you could.

This leads me to my next set of questions however.

I will be signing up initially to the 512k service on plusnet - I see an
option later to upgrade the speed to 1mb or 2mb but how much does it cost
?

The regrade is a one-off 14.99. You could go back to 512K if you wanted to
after a month, but that would be 29.99.

Just wondering if I should start with a higher package 1mb or 2mb ?

Up to you, it would save you the 14.99 regrade fee, but of course cost your
more each month. Also be aware you can change usage caps once every 30 days
to help manage costs.

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option but
do
I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered on the
plusnet
site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy usb modem for 34.99 ?

Last time I heared the router from plusnet was a solwise SAR130, not a bad
router but has no wireless. You can check it out at www.solwise.co.uk. I
wouldn't go fo a modem personally. If you might want to add more devices
later its restrictive.

Could I also say thanks to the response received on my other posts.

Not sure if anyone else offered up a referral ID, but if they didn't, if
you'd be kind enough to use "walespc" as referrer when signing up I might
get a 50p discount. Obviously when signed up you can then refer friends etc,
but I'm not sure if it still worth anything anymore.

Regards,

Jc.

Old September 18th 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Niaz Khan" wrote in message
After reading the Zen VS. Plusnet post - I have decided to go with plusnet
now for broadband.
My main worry was that the usenet service would not be as good as Zen - but
the price difference has prompted me to give plusnet a try first - if I
don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

I may be wrong, but doesn't PlusNet have a 50 setup fee or something like that?
Worth considering if initial costs are important.

Old September 18th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Niaz Khan wrote:

After reading the Zen VS. Plusnet post - I have decided to go with
plusnet now for broadband.
My main worry was that the usenet service would not be as good as Zen
- but the price difference has prompted me to give plusnet a try
first - if I don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

You *could*, but you could also use a third-party news server - such as
news-individual.net - which I am using as I type this!

This leads me to my next set of questions however.

I will be signing up initially to the 512k service on plusnet - I see
an option later to upgrade the speed to 1mb or 2mb but how much does
it cost ?

From memory, something like 15 quid to upgrade. If you are content with a
capped service, and don't expect to be downloading multi-GB per month,
PlusNet's 512k and 1M services actually cost the same!

Just wondering if I should start with a higher package 1mb or 2mb ?

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option
but do I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered
on the plusnet site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy
usb modem for 34.99 ?

If you want a wireless router, you'll have to source your own. As far as I
know, Plusnet only offer a wired one. I would avoid USB modems like the
plague - but if you insist on one, you can get the one sold by PlusNet much
cheaper elsewhere.

There are lots of wireless routers out there - the DG834G is by no mens the
only one. Although it is a popular router, a lot of people have reported
problems with firmware upgrades. I use a 3Com 11g wireless router, which
many suppliers are currently selling as a bundle including a wireless PCMCIA
card for a laptop - probably for less money than the DG834G.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 18th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:18:14 +0100, Niaz Khan wrote:

Hi,

if I don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

Yes you can, and under the PlusNet Guarantee if you choose to do this in
the first 45 days we'll pay the migration fee.

This leads me to my next set of questions however.

I will be signing up initially to the 512k service on plusnet - I see an
option later to upgrade the speed to 1mb or 2mb but how much does it
cost ?

The regrade fee is 14.99 to change to either 1 or 2Mbps.

Just wondering if I should start with a higher package 1mb or 2mb ?

I guess it depends on how much you intend to use the ADSL service. For
example for 1GB or under per month the price of 512kbps and 1Mbps are the
same at 14.99.

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option but
do
I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered on the
plusnet
site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy usb modem for 34.99
?

If you are looking in particular for the wireless option then this isn't
something we provide at the moment so I'd say to shop around.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old September 18th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:18:14 +0100, Niaz Khan wrote:

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option but
do
I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered on the
plusnet
site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy usb modem for 34.99
?

Before you buy a Netgear DG834G read the contrasting positive and negative
experiences of this product in the thread "Netgear DG834G Nightmare". It
generally has rave reviews but some users (including me) have had bad
experiences and would not recommend it.

Terry
Old September 19th 04, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:18:14 +0100, Niaz Khan wrote:

Hi,

if I don't get on I can always migrate to Zen I assume ?

Yes you can, and under the PlusNet Guarantee if you choose to do this in
the first 45 days we'll pay the migration fee.

I believe for Zen, for the time being at least, migrations are free of
charge anyway. Or is there an additional fee charged by plusnet after
the 45 day mark?

--
Meurig
Old September 19th 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Thomas

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 at 08:18:14 Niaz Khan wrote:

After reading the Zen VS. Plusnet post - I have decided to go with plusnet
now for broadband.

Good choice. I migrated from Claranet and the difference is huge.

My main worry was that the usenet service would not be as good as Zen

I haven't used PlusNet's news service enough to comment on it, but I
hear it's pretty good. A lot of "serious" Usenet users tend to have
third party services (I use Gradwell and Newshosting myself). You could
always use the free news.individual.net, which is excellent for a text
only feed.

[]

Also a question on hardware - the Netgear DG834G seems to be the
router/modem to get because it offers both a wireless & wired option but do
I buy this externally or go for the hardware options offered on the plusnet
site. They do a 4 port router for 59.99 or an easy usb modem for 34.99 ?

I'd go for a 4 port router (so you can connect your consoles too). The
Netgear has some bad reports: Draytek Vigors are pretty well respected
(I use the 2600 myself) but they're a little more expensive - there are
a load on Ebay (which I know you frequent) at the moment.

Don't forget those filters.

If you do go for PlusNet and you're feeling kind then perhaps you could
pop in the user "tarsins" as a referrer - us UGVM posters must stick
together ;-)
--
Steve Thomas

Better than Sage http://www.diamond-discovery.com