Is there a difference between DSL and ADSL

Old September 18th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default Is there a difference between DSL and ADSL

Possibly a stupid question.....

I am currenlty using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem. In a couple of
weeks I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems. Are these the same as ADSL
modems?

My ADSL Modem is a PT3810.

Thanks

Clive

Old September 18th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Clive" wrote in message
Possibly a stupid question.....

I am currenlty using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem. In a couple of weeks
I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems. Are these the same as ADSL modems?

My ADSL Modem is a PT3810.

Its the same thing, just shortened :-)

Old September 18th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FireFox

"Beck" wrote in message

"Clive" wrote in message
Possibly a stupid question.....

I am currenlty using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem. In a couple of

weeks
I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems. Are these the same as ADSL

modems?

My ADSL Modem is a PT3810.

Its the same thing, just shortened :-)

The A in ADSL means asymetric (?sp) i.e. the upload and download speeds
differ.

Whether that means that your modem will work, I can't tell you, I'm afraid.

Old September 18th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Petri Krohn

"Clive" kirjoitti viestissä

I am currently using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem.
In a couple of weeks I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems.

By "DSL-modem" Netgear means any modem with an Ethernet-interface.
This can be an ADSL-modem a VDSL-modem or even a cable modem.

Are these the same as ADSL modems?

ADSL is one form of "Digital Subscriber Line".
Not all ADSL-modems have an Ethernet interface. The cheaper ones only
provide an USB interface. There are also internal PCI modem cards.

My ADSL Modem is a PT3810.

The Puretec/ETEC PT3810 ADSL Modem/Router has one Ethernet port.
(It also has an additional USB port.)
http://www.microlandtechnology.com/p...?partno=CO6348
http://www.puretek.com.tw/product/ad...roducts%20.htm

You can connect the Netgear RP114 router to the Ethernet port. However, the
PT3810 also has a built in NAT-firewall / router so you do not need to add a
second router.

The PT3810 only has one Ethernet port, so you will need a switch to share
the connection. You can also use the PT3810 in a bridge mode and use the
Netgear for connection sharing.
http://www.puretek.com.tw/product/ad...roducts%20.htm

--
Petri Krohn
petri. krohn [email protected] iki. FI(nland)

Old September 19th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Petri Krohn" wrote in message
"Clive" kirjoitti viestissä

I am currently using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem.
In a couple of weeks I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems.

By "DSL-modem" Netgear means any modem with an Ethernet-interface.
This can be an ADSL-modem a VDSL-modem or even a cable modem.

Are these the same as ADSL modems?

ADSL is one form of "Digital Subscriber Line".
Not all ADSL-modems have an Ethernet interface. The cheaper ones only
provide an USB interface. There are also internal PCI modem cards.

Isn't there and SDSL aswell? Faster over shorter lines or something

Old September 19th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Beck" wrote in news:cijj3m$4r$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

Isn't there and SDSL aswell? Faster over shorter lines or something

There are a few different types, ADSL, RADSL (normally just identified as
ADSL) and SDSL are the most common. ADSL uses frequencies on the line to
increase the download speed whilst leaving the upload speed low (256).
SDSL uses more frequencies (I think) to also increase the upload speed.
As SDSL uses more frequencies it is more prone to loss and hence only
works over shorter lines regardless of whether the downstream is faster
that comparative ADSL.

So in short, DSL is a family of technologies whilst ADSL is an
implementation of one type of that technology.

--
Colin
Old September 19th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"cw" wrote in message
"Beck" wrote in news:cijj3m$4r$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

Isn't there and SDSL aswell? Faster over shorter lines or something

There are a few different types, ADSL, RADSL (normally just identified as
ADSL) and SDSL are the most common. ADSL uses frequencies on the line to
increase the download speed whilst leaving the upload speed low (256).
SDSL uses more frequencies (I think) to also increase the upload speed.
As SDSL uses more frequencies it is more prone to loss and hence only
works over shorter lines regardless of whether the downstream is faster
that comparative ADSL.

So in short, DSL is a family of technologies whilst ADSL is an
implementation of one type of that technology.

Then we have the new adsl2 which will be around much more in a few years.

Old September 19th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Petri Krohn wrote:
"Clive" kirjoitti viestissä

I am currently using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem.
In a couple of weeks I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems.

By "DSL-modem" Netgear means any modem with an Ethernet-interface.
This can be an ADSL-modem a VDSL-modem or even a cable modem.

Wrong, cable modems are a completely different technology & are
incompatable.

Me thinks you are getting a little confused between modems & routers & even
then you have to be careful as a DSL router may not be compatable with a
cable modem...

Old September 22nd 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message ,
Kráftéé writes
Petri Krohn wrote:
"Clive" kirjoitti viestissä

I am currently using a Netgear RP114 with a Cable Modem.
In a couple of weeks I will be moving over to ADSL.

My RP114 says it will work with DSL modems.

By "DSL-modem" Netgear means any modem with an Ethernet-interface.
This can be an ADSL-modem a VDSL-modem or even a cable modem.

Wrong, cable modems are a completely different technology & are
incompatable.

Me thinks you are getting a little confused between modems & routers & even
then you have to be careful as a DSL router may not be compatable with a
cable modem...

My PC technician, (usually a reliable source of information on IT
matters), says that next year the Government are going to bring in a
universal 8MB Broadband service across the board. I asked him why we
did not know about it and he said that the Government had not made it
public yet, can anyone throw any light on this.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old September 22nd 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
In message , Kráftéé
writes
Petri Krohn wrote:
[...]

Well the government cannot bring in anything if we do not have the technology.
They can really only advise on what the telecoms companies should be targetting
towards.
They may be referring to ADSL2 or is it ADSL2+ ? Anyway, whatever its name,
they are working on the technology and I think its possible to have speeds of up
to 20mbs, but I do not know much about it. Maybe Google can point you in the
right direction?