RJ11 Cable Question

Old September 19th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default RJ11 Cable Question

Firstly apologies if this has been asked before but I'm new to
broadband and this NG.

I have recently signed up for BB and have been supplied with a modem
and RJ11 modem lead. The problem I have is that the RJ11 modem lead
supplied by my ISP is only 1.8m and I need to buy a longer one as my
PC is about 8m from my main BT socket.

The question is are all ADSL modem cables of similar quality and if
not which is the best make to buy to get the best speeds through the
cable and also where is the best place to buy quality cables from
online.

One more question is :
For dial up I ran a cheap extension lead with a BT phone socket
attached from the main BT socket to near my PC to enable me to plug my
dial up modem into. Would I be able to use this socket to plug my ADSL
filter into and then use this for my modem cable. If so this would
mean that I wouldn't need to buy a longer RJ11 cable...I think !!! I
have been told that extensions leads are not ideal to plug ADSL
modems into but any comments would be appreciated.

Steve
Old September 19th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:46:33 +0000 (UTC), [Steve ] said
:-

[...]

Depending on your adsl modem you may find that you can actually use
the lead from the dial-up modem in the adsl modem, and then plug this
into your existing extension lead. I do :-)

You don't need to pass this lead through the filter at all - as long
as your "normal" phone is passed through a filter.

Of course, this sort of setup may mean having a two way phone splitter
and plugging the filter on one side (for the usual phone) and the
other side your existing extension lead.

Does that sort of answer your questions ?
Old September 19th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Steve wrote:

[...]

It's worth a try with your phone extension cable - it *may* work. If this
doesn't work reliably, it would be better to install a phone extension
socket - connected with proper twisted-pair cable - near to your computer
rather than using a longer modem cable.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 19th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoofman

The Grass is greener in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

Of course, this sort of setup may mean having a two way phone
splitter and plugging the filter on one side (for the usual
phone) and the other side your existing extension lead.

Does that sort of answer your questions ?

I think I get your drift. I already have a 2 way phone splitter in
place so thats not a problem. I will try all permutations but if all
else fails then I will just buy a longer RJ11 cable (10m?) and plug
this straight into the ADSL side of the filter in the main BT socket
and stick the 2 way splitter into the other side for the phones.
Old September 19th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoofman

Tiscali Tim in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

It's worth a try with your phone extension cable - it *may* work.

I'll give it a go. It's just that someone at work said try not to use
extension cables for plugging ADSL modems into......but then again
he's not a telecom engineer so what does he know?
Old September 19th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Spoofman" wrote in message
52.50...
Tiscali Tim in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

It's worth a try with your phone extension cable - it *may* work.

I'll give it a go. It's just that someone at work said try not to use
extension cables for plugging ADSL modems into......but then again
he's not a telecom engineer so what does he know?

When i first got broadband (nearly a year ago) i posted a similar question
on various newsgroups.
The response was much to the effect that using a (brand name, expensive)
ADSL cable was in most cases a waste of time.
Not to say that it wasn't technically more superior than a bog-standard BT
extension cable...

My Zoom ADSL USB modem has on-screen diagnostics to report the various
signal to noise ratio of the connected line.

Logging these SNR figures with a 'standard' telephone extension cable and
also a 'proper' ADSL type extension cable is the only way to be sure of any
performance difference between the two.

Martin.

Old September 19th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Spoofman" wrote in message
52.50...
The Grass is greener in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

Of course, this sort of setup may mean having a two way phone
splitter and plugging the filter on one side (for the usual
phone) and the other side your existing extension lead.

Does that sort of answer your questions ?

I think I get your drift. I already have a 2 way phone splitter in
place so thats not a problem. I will try all permutations but if all
else fails then I will just buy a longer RJ11 cable (10m?) and plug
this straight into the ADSL side of the filter in the main BT socket
and stick the 2 way splitter into the other side for the phones.

I needed a longer cable last week as the one which came with my setup was too
short. Unfortunately the only place open was Currys, so ended up paying 14 for
a 4.6metre Belkin cable.

Old September 19th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Spoofman wrote:

Tiscali Tim in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

It's worth a try with your phone extension cable - it *may* work.

I'll give it a go. It's just that someone at work said try not to use
extension cables for plugging ADSL modems into......but then again
he's not a telecom engineer so what does he know?

It depends on the signal strength. An extension cable increases the
potential for noise pickup. This matters if the SNR is marginal. Otherwise
you might get away with it.

I'm not convinced that a long modem cable would be any better - hence my
earlier advice to install a proper telephone extension socket.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 19th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Beck in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

I needed a longer cable last week as the one which came with my
setup was too short. Unfortunately the only place open was
Currys, so ended up paying 14 for a 4.6metre Belkin cable.

14...ouch. I work in the centre of Manchester and can pick up a 10
meter for 9.99 from Maplins. Thats Mondays lunchtime sorted then !!
Old September 19th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Steve" wrote in message
52.50...
Beck in uk.telecom.broadband on 19 Sep 2004

I needed a longer cable last week as the one which came with my
setup was too short. Unfortunately the only place open was
Currys, so ended up paying 14 for a 4.6metre Belkin cable.

14...ouch. I work in the centre of Manchester and can pick up a 10
meter for 9.99 from Maplins. Thats Mondays lunchtime sorted then !!

I could have got one for 7 from the local independent store, but needed it on
the Sunday and nobody else was open.