ADSL & Pulse Dialing

Old September 19th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
infopimp

Default ADSL & Pulse Dialing

Hi,

Could anyone offer me some advise pls.

I have been trying to set up a broadband account for some elderly
relatives of mine. Despite the account been active and the modem
correctly configured (filters applied, etc) I do not get a responce
from the remote server when connecting. (err 670)

Is it possible that an old pulse dialling bakerlite phone (hardwired
directly to the primary telephone point) which they had installed eons
ago could be interferring with the ADSL signal??

Clutching at straws

infopimp
;-)
Old September 19th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

infopimp wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone offer me some advise pls.

I have been trying to set up a broadband account for some elderly
relatives of mine. Despite the account been active and the modem
correctly configured (filters applied, etc) I do not get a responce
from the remote server when connecting. (err 670)

Is it possible that an old pulse dialling bakerlite phone (hardwired
directly to the primary telephone point) which they had installed eons
ago could be interferring with the ADSL signal??

Clutching at straws

If it's not connected through a filter (which it presumably isn't if it's
hardwired), then YES!

How is the ADSL connected? Have they got a master socket? If so, they
shouldn't still have hard-wired devices!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 19th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"infopimp" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Could anyone offer me some advise pls.

I have been trying to set up a broadband account for some elderly
relatives of mine. Despite the account been active and the modem
correctly configured (filters applied, etc) I do not get a responce
from the remote server when connecting. (err 670)

Is it possible that an old pulse dialling bakerlite phone (hardwired
directly to the primary telephone point) which they had installed eons
ago could be interferring with the ADSL signal??

Clutching at straws

infopimp
;-)

How is the adsl plugged in? Phone filtered?

Old September 20th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
infopimp

Alex Heney wrote in message . ..
On 19 Sep 2004 07:16:34 -0700,
(infopimp) wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone offer me some advise pls.

I have been trying to set up a broadband account for some elderly
relatives of mine. Despite the account been active and the modem
correctly configured (filters applied, etc) I do not get a responce
from the remote server when connecting. (err 670)

Is it possible that an old pulse dialling bakerlite phone (hardwired
directly to the primary telephone point) which they had installed eons
ago could be interferring with the ADSL signal??

Not only possible, but almost certain.

If there is an unfiltered handset in the circuit, then ADSL will not
work.

As I found out the last week, when I forgot to check that the router I
ordered came with any filters.

I thought I'd make sure it was working before I went out and bought a
filter, but it would only work with everything else unplugged.

For those who asked;

No, there is no filter between this handset and the line.
But I thought this was only relevant if the handset was in use.

Could anyone expand on this??

Not sure what you want to know when asking 'How is the adsl
connected?' (Tiscali Tim, Steve) but the modem is plug into an
extension from the main socket with the microfilter inline at that
point.

infopimp
;-)
Old September 20th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

infopimp wrote:

For those who asked;

No, there is no filter between this handset and the line.
But I thought this was only relevant if the handset was in use.

Could anyone expand on this??

When my ADSL was first enabled, my filters hadn't yet arrived. I was able to
get it going by plugging the modem into the back part of master socket, with
the faceplate removed - and with all extension wiring and phones taken out
of circuit. With any (unfiltered) phones in circuit, the line wouldn't
synch. The phones didn't have to be in use - but simply *there*. [I could
replace the faceplate as long as I unplugged *every* phone from its socket].
Of course, once my filtered faceplate arrived, everything was ok with the
phones *in* circuit.

The situation you have described with a hard-wired phone is similar to the
above. This phone needs to be disconnected. If they *must* keep it, it needs
to have a modern lead with modular plug fitted so that it can be plugged
into a socket via a filter. [By the way, has it ever had it's bell modified?
If not, it probably has a REN of about 4 - and it's a miracle that *any* of
the phones ring!]

Not sure what you want to know when asking 'How is the adsl
connected?' (Tiscali Tim, Steve) but the modem is plug into an
extension from the main socket with the microfilter inline at that
point.

I was - and still am - puzzled. In an original hard-wired installation which
hasn't been converted to modular sockets there would be no socket into which
to plug the modem. If it *has* been converted, *everything* should be in
sockets, and there should be no remaining hard-wired phones. Sounds like
someone has done a DIY bodge job at some point in the past - rather than a
proper BT conversion!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 20th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
infopimp

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message ...
infopimp wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this Tim it's been a great help!

I have arranged for BT to go round and fit a modular socket which they
'?confirmed?' would solve the problem (as if I had doubts?!).

In answer to your question, the modem is plugged (filtered) into an
extension point, which again has been hard wired into the master
socket. I don't think it was a bodge, but the work does look really
old (twisted wires! & the bell rings when you dial out from one of the
extn's - lol)

infopimp
;-)