Queries with using ADSL

Old September 19th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Queries with using ADSL

Reading through these messages it would seem that if you switch to BB
then you also need to install a standard dialup modem for those
occasions when the BB fails for some reason. Is this so?

Leading on from that you would need to protect that route from rogue
dialers. Not sure if a s/w firewall would cover that or not. I currently
have installed Kerio 2.1.5, AV and BOClean. I think that at least one
of these should cover it. At the moment I am connected via a router on
an ISDN connection so is not an issue.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 19th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:01:07 +0100, David G [email protected]
wrote:

Reading through these messages it would seem that if you switch to BB
then you also need to install a standard dialup modem for those
occasions when the BB fails for some reason. Is this so?

You can but you don't have to have a backup.

Leading on from that you would need to protect that route from rogue
dialers.

Get the premium rate bar placed on the line for a start.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old September 19th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

wrote:

Reading through these messages it would seem that if you switch to BB
then you also need to install a standard dialup modem for those
occasions when the BB fails for some reason. Is this so?

It is a good idea just in case, also a good idea if you wish to use
your computer to send faxes.

Leading on from that you would need to protect that route from rogue
dialers. Not sure if a s/w firewall would cover that or not. I currently
have installed Kerio 2.1.5, AV and BOClean. I think that at least one
of these should cover it. At the moment I am connected via a router on
an ISDN connection so is not an issue.

You could always leave it witched off (if it is an external modem) or
unplugged until you need it.

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk