"portable" broadband connection

Old September 20th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
effe

Default "portable" broadband connection

Hi all!
I'm an italian student in UK I'd like to sign a broadband connection
contract; I'm in Southampton and in my house there is a ntl phone contract.
It should be a non "minimum 12 month contract" and it could be "portable"
(if I move into another house it will work with my new number).
I need it to surfing,email, using messenger, a little bit of file sharing...

Any suggest for the best operator?

thank you very much!!!

Old September 20th 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"effe" wrote in message
Hi all!
I'm an italian student in UK I'd like to sign a broadband connection
contract; I'm in Southampton and in my house there is a ntl phone

contract.
It should be a non "minimum 12 month contract" and it could be "portable"
(if I move into another house it will work with my new number).
I need it to surfing,email, using messenger, a little bit of file

sharing...

Any suggest for the best operator?

thank you very much!!!

I don't think there is one in the UK... best place to look is he
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Old September 20th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
effe

" I don't think there is one in the UK... best place to look is he
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

thanx :-(

Old September 20th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I'm an italian student in UK I'd like to sign a broadband connection
contract; I'm in Southampton and in my house there is a ntl phone
contract. It should be a non "minimum 12 month contract" and it
could be "portable" (if I move into another house it will work
with my new number).
I need it to surfing,email, using messenger, a little bit of file

sharing...

You can't really get a 'portable' broadband connection - the best you can do
is sign up with a Monthly Contract with an ISP that provides it, and then
arrange to Move your ADSL if you need to.

Old September 21st 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
effe

You can't really get a 'portable' broadband connection - the best you can

do
is sign up with a Monthly Contract with an ISP that provides it, and then
arrange to Move your ADSL if you need to.

Ok. :-)
I'll focus on a monthly contract. My landlord says that NTL supplies to my
area. Does this mean that I must sign up with NTL or that I can find a
better one? How do these things work in UK?
Could you suggest my some operators?

Thank you very much!

Old September 21st 04, 06:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"effe" writes:

You can't really get a 'portable' broadband connection - the best you can

do
is sign up with a Monthly Contract with an ISP that provides it, and then
arrange to Move your ADSL if you need to.

Ok. :-)
I'll focus on a monthly contract. My landlord says that NTL supplies to my
area. Does this mean that I must sign up with NTL or that I can find a
better one? How do these things work in UK?
Could you suggest my some operators?

For cable broadband, you can only get that from your local cable
operator, if there is one. From what your landlord says, it seems your
local cable operator is NTL.

For ADSL, you can get that from many ISPs, almost all rely on a BT
telephone line. This means that if the current telephone line is
provided as part of a cable service from NTL, it will not do. You would
need to have a BT phone line installed so you can then get ADSL from one
of the many ISPs which provide it. The ISPs are listed at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk

--
Tim Clark

Old September 21st 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "effe" wrote:

My landlord says that NTL supplies to my area. Does this mean
that I must sign up with NTL or that I can find a better one?

In the UK there are two types of broadband service - services
from the two cable networks (NTL, Telewest) on lines *only they*
serve, and the alternative, mostly ADSL (usually 250 kbps for
upload, and various speeds for download from 2000 kbps down).
More recently SDSL (same speed both ways) has become available
at affordable pricing. ADSL/SDSL are usually provided on lines
from the major (ex-state) telecom firm, BT (British Telecom),
from many dozens of ISPs, which you will have seen from lists
on www.ADSLguide.org

How do these things work in UK?

Hope the above has given a brief nackground. Getting service
for a few months is easy with an ISP offering ADSL, and can
be quite cheap (with long contracts) or a bit more expensive
(for short contracts).

Could you suggest some operators?

If you get a BT line installed (74.99) you will have a big
choice of ISP. In some cases you'd have to pay a setup fee
to have ADSL working on your line, with some you don't have a
fee to pay - you must check this carefully - and even if some
don't have an initial fee, they may have a "cancellation" fee
(possibly up to 100 pounds!) if you cancel within 12 months -
again this is an area for you to check / ask with every ISP,
and perhaps back in the newsgroup when you think you have a
good choice.

A couple which might meet your needs would be virgin.net (it
costs about 25 pounds a month but has no setup fee and seems
not to have any penalty if you cancel after a few months!) +
MetroNet, which *does* have a setup fee, but can be as low
as 11.75 (10 +VAT) a month if you are not busy (eg if you
are back in Italy for 3 weeks sometime during univ. breaks)
See www.metronet.co.uk for their services. They also have a
fairly cheap 1000 kbps service - most I think you pay is 28.75
whereas I am paying 32.50 at the moment (mine started with a
deal and was under 27.00 a month at first - I hope it drops
or I will be shifting to another ISP fairly soon :-)

Although a BT contract is for 12 months, there are no longer
very high penalties for cancelling the line before the full
12 months, so that should be no problem. Sorry, there is
no cable here so I cannot comment on NTL and what would be
the case if you signed a 12 month contract but left after 8.
Old September 21st 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
effe

Tim and poster,
thank you very much!
I'm asking to my landlord which is my case and then I'll start to look for a
ISP.

thanx guys!

Old September 23rd 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
if

effe wrote:

Any suggest for the best operator?

Check Nildram, I believe they offer a monthly contract and a no-fee to
move to a new address offer. However, that was before Pipex bought them,
so best to confirm before you sign up.

all the best,
Ian