Sub 512k ADSL packages

Old September 20th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Sub 512k ADSL packages

How do ISPs cripple the speed of their sub-512k services ?

The reason I ask is that last week I set someone up with
a Pipex 250k ADSL service. Download speeds from web
sites and speed test utilities are typically 180k. I obtained
some improvement by tweaking MTU and RWIN.

Using Pipex's own 'internal' speed test utility I was getting
220-230k before tweaking, now it's 260-270k !

The very same router (AMX-68) and PC when connected to my own
Pipex 512k service consistently reads 480k on the same tests.

Diagnostics show d/s attenuation as 40dB, and no errors (my line is 63dB)

All this leads me to believe that Pipex do something rather 'hamfisted'
to reduce the speeds?

I posted on this topic last week and another 250k
user replied with similar experiences. Does anyone else have
problems with their sub 512 ADSL services ?

TIA