WinXP fails DNS requests through Netgear 834G

Old September 20th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Default WinXP fails DNS requests through Netgear 834G

"Tiny Tim" wrote in
:
This could be a complete red herring, as I am far from a networking
expert, but is your DNS Client service running? I was following some
tweaking tips a few days ago that included turning off this service.
Perhaps unsurprisingly all my web access went AWOL. I restarted the
service and bingo, all was well again.

Yes, I had looked at that and it was running.
Old September 20th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:24:20 -0000, Stone Free
spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis
wrote:

"Tiny Tim" wrote in
:
This could be a complete red herring, as I am far from a networking
expert, but is your DNS Client service running? I was following some
tweaking tips a few days ago that included turning off this service.
Perhaps unsurprisingly all my web access went AWOL. I restarted the
service and bingo, all was well again.

Yes, I had looked at that and it was running.

Hi there,

Some other things to look at:

have you specified different DNS on your NIC compared to your router?
Do you have port 53 accepting UDP traffic (this is the DNS port)? Is
it possible to try a different machine?

kind regards

Luke
--
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old September 20th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

[posted and mailed]

PlusNet Support wrote in
:
Hi there,

Some other things to look at:

have you specified different DNS on your NIC compared to your router?

I don't know how to do this, so I would say no.
Do you have port 53 accepting UDP traffic (this is the DNS port)?

I tried disabling Kerio and re-enabling the Windows XP (Sp2) firewall, so I
dont think port 53 is disabled.
Is it possible to try a different machine?

Unfortunately the NIC is intergrated on the motherboard so I cant try this
in the other computer, it has also had its hard drive canablisd for the new
pc so I would have to transfer it back to get it working.
Old September 20th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Stone Free wrote:

[posted and mailed]

PlusNet Support wrote in
:

Hi there,

Some other things to look at:

have you specified different DNS on your NIC compared to your router?

I don't know how to do this, so I would say no.

Do you have port 53 accepting UDP traffic (this is the DNS port)?

I tried disabling Kerio and re-enabling the Windows XP (Sp2) firewall, so I
dont think port 53 is disabled.

Is it possible to try a different machine?

Unfortunately the NIC is intergrated on the motherboard so I cant try this
in the other computer, it has also had its hard drive canablisd for the new
pc so I would have to transfer it back to get it working.

Looks from your ipconfig output that you've got your PC set up to usethe
Netgear as a DNS relay. I don't know anything about the 834G but is it
possible you've turned off the DNS relay option? (I'm assuming it can
act as a dns relay?)

If I were you I'd try manually entering the DNS entries on your NIC, not
sure what plusnet's DNS servers are, but your router seems to know them
- try looking through the router config.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 20th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Meurig Freeman wrote in
:
Looks from your ipconfig output that you've got your PC set up to
usethe Netgear as a DNS relay. I don't know anything about the 834G
but is it possible you've turned off the DNS relay option? (I'm
assuming it can act as a dns relay?)

If I were you I'd try manually entering the DNS entries on your NIC,
not sure what plusnet's DNS servers are, but your router seems to know
them - try looking through the router config.

I tried entering the plusnet DNS servers from the Router Status page into
Preferred and Alternate DNS server, but that didnt work. Its as if windows
not even trying to talk to the router for DNS lookups.
Old September 20th 04, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Stone Free wrote:
Meurig Freeman wrote in
:

Looks from your ipconfig output that you've got your PC set up to
usethe Netgear as a DNS relay. I don't know anything about the 834G
but is it possible you've turned off the DNS relay option? (I'm
assuming it can act as a dns relay?)

If I were you I'd try manually entering the DNS entries on your NIC,
not sure what plusnet's DNS servers are, but your router seems to know
them - try looking through the router config.

I tried entering the plusnet DNS servers from the Router Status page into
Preferred and Alternate DNS server, but that didnt work. Its as if windows
not even trying to talk to the router for DNS lookups.

I don't mean entering them on the router, looks like they're working
fine on the router, problem is the router isn't passing the info on to
the PC correctly.

Try entering them on your PC manually instead. (control panel, network
connections, right clickyour connection, select internet protocol
(TCP/IP), click properties, and manually enter the DNS entries there.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 20th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stone Free

Meurig Freeman wrote in
:

Stone Free wrote:
Meurig Freeman wrote in
:

Looks from your ipconfig output that you've got your PC set up to
usethe Netgear as a DNS relay. I don't know anything about the 834G
but is it possible you've turned off the DNS relay option? (I'm
assuming it can act as a dns relay?)

If I were you I'd try manually entering the DNS entries on your NIC,
not sure what plusnet's DNS servers are, but your router seems to
know them - try looking through the router config.

I tried entering the plusnet DNS servers from the Router Status page
into Preferred and Alternate DNS server, but that didnt work. Its as
if windows not even trying to talk to the router for DNS lookups.

I don't mean entering them on the router, looks like they're working
fine on the router, problem is the router isn't passing the info on to
the PC correctly.

Nor do I, what I mean is that the IP addresses of the two DNS servers are
displayed on the Router Status Page, and I then took these numbers and
entered them in the TCP/IP settings for "Local Area Connection", but
unfortunately the behaviour stayed the same.
Old September 20th 04, 04:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Stone Free wrote:

Meurig Freeman wrote in
:

Stone Free wrote:

Meurig Freeman wrote in
:

[...]

Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm afraid I've no more suggestions.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)