Netgear DG834G firewall question

Old September 20th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Pearson

Default Netgear DG834G firewall question

I'm running a Netgear DG834G and everything is going well, but I'm
struggling to upload a files via WSFTP Pro.

I can browse around my directories on the server fine at full speed, but
when I try to upload a file it slows down (almost stops) and eventually does
fail with an error code of 451.

I can use a dial up account and upload in the old way, so I'm pretty sure
this is related to the firewall on the router. I guess the answer is on the
Firewall setting page when accessing the router, but after that I'm pretty
stuck but guess it's due to my computer not responding to the server I'm
trying to upload to.

The options on the inbound services page are

SERVICE which I guess I should be set to FTP (TCP:20,21)

ACTION which I guess I should be ALLOW ALWAYS

SEND TO LAN SERVER - and this is where I get stuck, it says I should enter
the IP address of the PC or Server on your LAN which will receive the
inbound traffic covered by this rule but I don't know (and can't find) what
to enter here.

I'm only interested in using my main machine to upload via FTP and not the
laptop we have on the wireless link.....

any help really appreciated.

thanks.

Old September 20th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Neil Pearson" wrote in message
[...]

I have a DG834G and also use WS-FTP Pro, to upload files to my webspace. I
have not set up any special parameters in the router and don't see any
reason why I should, since there are no restrictions on outbound traffic by
default. The only service/rule I have set up is for inbound connections to
my P2P client.

Sometimes I used to get errors (can't remember the number but 451 sounds
likely) but very rarely these days. I get the feeling it was ISP related
(PlusNet) but it all seems pretty reliable now. My uploads are normally
several tens of files totalling between 10MB-80MB or so.

I'm running 1.05.00 firmware on the router - make sure you are up to date
with yours.

Old September 20th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:01:48 +0100, "Neil Pearson"
wrote:

I'm running a Netgear DG834G and everything is going well, but I'm
struggling to upload a files via WSFTP Pro.

I can browse around my directories on the server fine at full speed, but
when I try to upload a file it slows down (almost stops) and eventually does
fail with an error code of 451.

I can use a dial up account and upload in the old way, so I'm pretty sure
this is related to the firewall on the router. I guess the answer is on the
Firewall setting page when accessing the router, but after that I'm pretty
stuck but guess it's due to my computer not responding to the server I'm
trying to upload to.

I guess this does not help that much, but for reference I regularly
upload to several different ftp sites using CuteFTP and I have no such
issues. I use the same router as you and I have not customised any of
the firewall rules so I do not see why the router would be the cause
of the problem.

FTP Error 454 Cannot connect to your data socket

The default rule on the DG834G for outbound is "allow all" so should
not be interfering with your connection.
Old September 20th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Neil Pearson wrote:
[...]

I think you need to set the FTP connection to use "Passive" mode. This
is because FTP is kind of a weird protocol in that it uses two ports;
one for commands and one for data. When you connect to the remote host,
you use the command port and *then* the connection for the data port is
established. This can be established either by the remote host
connecting back to your FTP client or vice-vera; its the connection mode
that sets this and *I think* passasive means both port connections are
established from the client.

NB: I'm not an expert and this is from memory, so the technical details
might not be 100% accurate!

HTH

Peter.