BT Master socket

Old September 20th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default BT Master socket

Hi

I recently upgraded to broadband but my router could not esablish an ADSL
link. After speaking with my ISP I realised that I did not have a BT master
socket fitted to my internal phone system. I swapped my master socket with
my dads (don't tell him) and everything is now working fine? All I can
think is that the capacitor or something is slightly differnet in the BT
master?

So, if you are experiencing problems with broadband maybe this will help?
Lets hope my dad doesn't want broadband!

Does anyone know if BT are obliged to fit me a new master socket FOC, after
all, they should have fitted one in the first place when they installed my
line about 4 years ago. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my own master socket
in the first place!

Old September 20th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"Dave" @. wrote in message
[...]

If you ask them, Im sure they would! can't hurt to try!

Old September 20th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:29:58 +0100, wrote:

Does anyone know if BT are obliged to fit me a new master socket FOC, after
all, they should have fitted one in the first place when they installed my
line about 4 years ago. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my own master socket
in the first place!

I think they charge 25ish for reguarisation (spelling ?) of an illict
master socket

Martin Warby
Old September 21st 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wray

"Martin Warby" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:29:58 +0100, wrote:

Does anyone know if BT are obliged to fit me a new master socket FOC,

after
all, they should have fitted one in the first place when they installed

my
line about 4 years ago. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my own master

socket
in the first place!

I think they charge 25ish for reguarisation (spelling ?) of an illict
master socket

yep 25 +vat plus 55 visit charge
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm

Stephen

Old September 23rd 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blakey

"Stephen Wray" wrote in message

"Martin Warby" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:29:58 +0100, wrote:

Does anyone know if BT are obliged to fit me a new master socket FOC,

after
all, they should have fitted one in the first place when they

installed
my
line about 4 years ago. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my own master

socket
in the first place!

I think they charge 25ish for reguarisation (spelling ?) of an illict
master socket

yep 25 +vat plus 55 visit charge
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm

Stephen

So does this mean that you must have a broadband modem plugged into a
'Master Socket' for it to work, as opposed to having it plugged into a
regular extension socket??

Regards

Blakey

Old September 23rd 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Blakey wrote:

So does this mean that you must have a broadband modem plugged into a
'Master Socket' for it to work, as opposed to having it plugged into a
regular extension socket??

Regards

Blakey

No, you can plug it into an extension socket *provided* you use
micro-filters on *all* other sockets where analog devices (phones, fax
machines, anaolog modems etc.) are plugged in.

The altenative is to use a filtered faceplate on your master socket. This
automatically filters all extension sockets - doing away with the need for
plug-in filters. In this case, your ADSL modem *does* have to be plugged
into the ADSL outlet on the master socket - or into a *digital* extension
(separate from the ordinary phone extensions) run from the master.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 23rd 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blakey

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Blakey wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the prompt reply Tim, I was getting a bit worried there! I go BB
on the 28th :-)

Regards

Blakey