Routers for multiple static IPs?

Old September 20th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Default Routers for multiple static IPs?

Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection I
have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than one
IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

--
Colin
Old September 20th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , cw
writes
Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection I
have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than one
IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

My impression is that the most flexible ADSL routers for this type of
operation are the Westell routers - either the 6100, or, if you want a
few more features, the 7400.

These routers have the ability to pass through public IP addresses to
the LAN and, seemingly, carry out NAT at the same time. In my case, I
just want to pass through all the public IP addresses to my ZyWALL 35
and I'll probably turn the Westell's firewall off completely.

I'm probably going to order a 7400 tomorrow (the ADSL line has been
ordered today), as the 7400 has a few more features - for example, the
line diagnostics are on the web GUI.

There's a review of the 6100 at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ll-proline-600
0.asp (to me it sounds like the 6100 is what is reviewed, as the 6000
is just a bridge).

The manuals are available at:
http://www.westell.com/content/sales/7400.pdf for the 7400 and
http://www.westell.com/content/sales/liteline.pdf for the 6100 (well -
it'll do - it seems more common to find the Proline 6100 available in
the UK, which has more RAM and supports Westell's remote management
technology, but is otherwise the same piece of kit).

Search for "public LAN" (without the quotes) for the IP pass through
mode I'm thinking of - and make sure that the described features will
cover your network.

http://www.broadbandstore.co.uk has both products in their range. I
rang them earlier - they were hoping to get 200 7400s on Thursday and
said they now had 6100s in stock ready to supply.

If you get a 6100, make sure you install the .77 firmware if it's not
already installed - broadbandstore.co.uk can let you have the file.

David
--
David Wood

Old September 20th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"cw" wrote in message
Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection
have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than
one
IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

--
Colin

Draytek series 2600 series or 2900 series for a bit more CPU power. and more
features.

Old September 20th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ICUK

cw wrote:
Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection I
have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than one
IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

Most routers have this, it's just a No NAT facility and then you assign
IPs to machines
behind that.

Leslie
www.icuknet.co.uk
Old September 21st 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Unknown

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:04:35 +0000, cw wrote:

Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection
I have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than
one IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

Avoid DLINK 300G+/DLINK 300T. It doesn't quite work for multiple IP's
without playing about with static routes and ARP. I wouldn't know where to
start getting it to work with Windows.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.

PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...e.net&op=index

Old September 21st 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

David Wood wrote in
:
My impression is that the most flexible ADSL routers for this type of
operation are the Westell routers - either the 6100, or, if you want a
few more features, the 7400.

Cheers for these, they actually seem ideal with the "Turbo TCP" thing.
When I bought my personal router I was looking for something with ack
prioritising but couldn't find it.

I'm just wondering if the 7400 is worth the extra money..

--
Colin
Old September 21st 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

"Paul Landregan" wrote in message ...
"cw" wrote in message
Not too sure on this one.
Basically we are getting in a separate DSL line at work and expect to be
able to get an allocation from the ISP concerned. So far every connection
have set up is either NAT or single user modem. Does anone have any
recommendations on routers that can handle doing bridging for more than
one
IP and preferrably use a third for NAT at the same time?

--
Colin

Draytek series 2600 series or 2900 series for a bit more CPU power. and more
features.

AOL

I've been using a 2600 in this configuration for a couple of years
now, with no problems.

Stroller.