Don't shoot the pianna player...

Old September 20th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
@thlon

Default Don't shoot the pianna player...

Had broadband installed a couple of weeks ago, everything was fine until the
connection disappeared without warning.

That left three options - a line fault, an ISP problem, or a faulty router.

I never considered the home phone wiring because the property is only a
couple of years old.

There followed much telephoning (the voice element was fine) and much buck
passing between the three suspects. Then, as mysteriously as it had
vanished, the connection came back - and I was just glad to let the matter
drop and go surfing.

Then, after a few more days, the connection vanished again.

This time I decided to have a look at the BT extension socket into which the
router was plugged. I discovered that on of the pins that makes contact
with the removable plug was broken, allowing intermittent contact -
presumably a result of plugging and unplugging the phone.

A couple of pounds for a new socket, and everything was restored.

Moral - it's worth checking the obvious, even if the wiring installation is
virtually new.

One puzzling thing, though - if the pin was not making contact, why was the
voice element of the line still working perfectly, and only the ADSL
component not functioning?

Or (and I hope this ain't the case) could it be that the loss of ADSL had
noting to do with the dodgy socket pin - and I just happened to come across
another fault that wasn't the cause of my connection loss?

Old September 21st 04, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
gc

One puzzling thing, though - if the pin was not making contact, why was the
voice element of the line still working perfectly, and only the ADSL
component not functioning?

IIRC you only need 2 wires for voice - Blue and White/Blue, pin 2 and
pin 5. guessingPerhaps ADSL requires some of the other wires
too/guessing