Children

Old September 20th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy Entwistle

Default Children

Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong NG.

Now I have broadband I want my children to have access to the internet. For
obvious reasons I want to limit the sites they can view. (I am on BT
Broadband) Is there anything built into XP that will allow me to do this or
is there any kind of program I can download to limit their access for free?

Thanks and apologies again if this is the wrong group.

Joy

Old September 20th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Joy Entwistle wrote:
Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong NG.

Now I have broadband I want my children to have access to the internet. For
obvious reasons I want to limit the sites they can view. (I am on BT
Broadband) Is there anything built into XP that will allow me to do this or
is there any kind of program I can download to limit their access for free?

Thanks and apologies again if this is the wrong group.

Joy

Instead of abdicating your responsibilities to some anonymous software
writer, you could try a little bit of parenting.
Old September 20th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Joy Entwistle" wrote in message
Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong NG.

Now I have broadband I want my children to have access to the internet. For
obvious reasons I want to limit the sites they can view. (I am on BT
Broadband) Is there anything built into XP that will allow me to do this or is
there any kind of program I can download to limit their access for free?

Thanks and apologies again if this is the wrong group.

Internet Explorer 6 has built in parental controls, but it can be a bit flaky at
times. Like for example it may block the term Sussex, just because it has sex in
the word.

Old September 20th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"sarah" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Instead of abdicating your responsibilities to some anonymous software writer,
you could try a little bit of parenting.

Thats a bit of a silly answer because good or bad parenting is not going to
block unwanted sites. I was teaching my neice the internet one day and she
wanted to know about dolphins, picked the I am feeling lucky page and it loaded
a page with hard porn.
Its not just a case of teaching someone not to view certain things, these things
can happen by accident and if software can help then it is a good idea.

Old September 20th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

"sarah" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Instead of abdicating your responsibilities to some anonymous software
writer, you could try a little bit of parenting.

Shouldn't you be out at some airbase eating lentils in your aliminium lined
tee pee?

Old September 20th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

It seems like Mary ****ehouse has even given up
bothering about the content of TV programs now

Err, she had to give up when she died.

Old September 20th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Edmondson

"sarah" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Joy Entwistle wrote:
Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong NG.

Now I have broadband I want my children to have access to the internet.
For obvious reasons I want to limit the sites they can view. (I am on BT
Broadband) Is there anything built into XP that will allow me to do this
or is there any kind of program I can download to limit their access for
free?

Thanks and apologies again if this is the wrong group.

Joy

Instead of abdicating your responsibilities to some anonymous software
writer, you could try a little bit of parenting.

Uh? What has that got to do with it? Why are you questioning his parenting?
What has it got to do with you?

Damn, maybe I shouldn't have setup that Linux proxy/filtering server in
school for the protection of the kids - I should have send letters to all
the parents telling them how to be responsible parents!

Gareth

Old September 20th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
snip
Just why all the bloody fuss about children and the internet anyway

Because children are naturally trusting and thus don't see or hear the
dangers that some sites pose.

there is just about the same amount of seedy stuff including language
accompaniments on TV .

What utter bull, when did you last see hard core porn on broadcast TV, I
doubt even those channel X type satellite stations would broadcast most of
the stuff that people say is available on the internet.

It seems like Mary ****ehouse has even given up

Probably because she died about 4 years ago ! Do keep up at the back...

bothering about the content of TV programs now so why knock internet
content you me or anyone else will never stop it .

No one has ever said that, what is being discussed is preventing access.

Wombat .

I've heard they are clueless, you seem to have a very apt user name...

Old September 20th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

accompaniments on TV . It seems like Mary ****ehouse has even given up
bothering about the content of TV programs now so why knock internet
content you me or anyone else will never stop it .
Wombat .

Do you want your kids to see some bloke sticking his cock up an animal?
Nobody can argue that the internet has not got distasteful content. I would not
want to look at it so I certainly would not want children to look at it.
There are ways to filter out the unmentionable sites and people should use them
if they want their kids to have an enjoyable internet experience.

Old September 20th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy Entwistle

"sarah" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Joy Entwistle wrote:
Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong NG.

Now I have broadband I want my children to have access to the internet.
For obvious reasons I want to limit the sites they can view. (I am on BT
Broadband) Is there anything built into XP that will allow me to do this
or is there any kind of program I can download to limit their access for
free?

Thanks and apologies again if this is the wrong group.

Joy

Instead of abdicating your responsibilities to some anonymous software
writer, you could try a little bit of parenting.

Every NG has some sad, pedantic, sanctimonious, self righteous idiot as you.
Get with the times, kids use the internet now and all I asked was if I could
make it a little safer for them, bit like putting their seat belts on in the
car. DUH!

Thanks to all who responded helpfully

Joy