Broadband networking

Old September 20th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hall

Default Broadband networking

Having taken the plunge and ordered Telewest's 750k broadband service
for our flat of 4 students, I'd really appreciate some help in sharing
the connection. We've got 3 laptops and a desktop between us, and are
really looking at a wired network as it seems much cheaper than
wireless.

Firstly, I guess we need a cable router, rather than an adsl one for
telewest - is this right?
Can anybody suggest a good, easy-to-setup wired router and where to
buy it cheaply?
What else do we need (apart from miles of ethernet cabling!)?

Any other hints would be appreciated!!

Many thanks,

David
Old September 20th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On 20 Sep 2004 10:38:24 -0700, (David Hall)
wrote:

Any other hints would be appreciated!!

http://www.by-users.co.uk/faqs/networking/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

Might help ... good luck

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Technical Manager, blueyonder Internet Team
Old September 21st 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dnh

"David Hall" wrote in message
m...
Having taken the plunge and ordered Telewest's 750k broadband service
for our flat of 4 students, I'd really appreciate some help in sharing
the connection. We've got 3 laptops and a desktop between us, and are
really looking at a wired network as it seems much cheaper than
wireless.

Firstly, I guess we need a cable router, rather than an adsl one for
telewest - is this right?
Can anybody suggest a good, easy-to-setup wired router and where to
buy it cheaply?
What else do we need (apart from miles of ethernet cabling!)?

Any other hints would be appreciated!!

Many thanks,

David

I have a similar setup on telewest, using a Linksys BEFSR41 which is a 4
port router with built in NAT firewall - works fine, had no problems with
it whatsoever. When the telewest bloke came to install he wouldn't plug into
the router, said he was only allowed to plug into a PC but sorted it out no
prob after he left. HAd to do something with the mac address in the router
but again, simple stuff, the links in the other eply are great sources.

good luck

--
-----
to reply, remove cavemen from below:

Old September 21st 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

dnh wrote:

"David Hall" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I assume by the above that Telewest will only connect to a single PC, and
will use the MAC address of the PC's cable modem to validate the connection.
In thiscase, "had to do something with the mac address in the router" is
referring to the need to get the router to spoof the computer's mac address
so that it looks to Telewest as if the original computer - rather than the
router - is connected.

The router will, of course, connect all your computers together in a single
network - giving you the opportunity of sharing data and/or printers if you
so wish. However, if you wish to maintain privacy, make sure that "File and
Printer Sharing" is disabled on all your PCs. You will still be able to
share the internet connection.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 21st 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Tiscali Tim wrote:
dnh wrote:

"David Hall" wrote in message
m...
[...]

better, just select which folders to share, thats what I've done on my
network. We can only see the shared folders and the kids can use my
printer.

Old September 21st 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Edward wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

The router will, of course, connect all your computers together in a
single network - giving you the opportunity of sharing data and/or
printers if you so wish. However, if you wish to maintain privacy,
make sure that "File and Printer Sharing" is disabled on all your
PCs. You will still be able to share the internet connection.

better, just select which folders to share, thats what I've done on my
network. We can only see the shared folders and the kids can use my
printer.

Yes, indeed! I may have given the impression that it's all or nothing which,
of course, it isn't.

I was just flagging it up as an issue to be addressed when PC's, which were
previously stand-alone, are networked together.
--
Cheers,
Tim