On the fringe, would like 1Mb

Old September 20th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Default On the fringe, would like 1Mb

Hi,

In view of the recent limits increase, I'm interested in getting 1Mb
broadband. I have had 512mbit for a while now, and I didn't qualify for
1mb when I had it installed.

Here's my stats from my router:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 19.6 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 48.5 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.1 16.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2048 928
Rate (Kbps) 576 288
K 19 10
R 0 0
S 1 1
D 1 1

Look viable to you? When I go to samknows.com I get these results:
"BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Wilstead (SMWLS) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line.
This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS
unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will
need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Your BT ADSL code is: RGEC"

I'm a bit confused as BT say I should be able to get 1Mb if the
attenuation is under 60db.

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.markallison.co.uk

Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602m.html
Old September 20th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mark Allison" wrote in message

In view of the recent limits increase, I'm interested in getting 1Mb
broadband. I have had 512mbit for a while now, and I didn't qualify
for 1mb when I had it installed.

Here's my stats from my router:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 19.6 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 48.5 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.1 16.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2048 928
Rate (Kbps) 576 288
K 19 10
R 0 0
S 1 1
D 1 1

Look viable to you?

Yes - ask your ISP if they can submit a "manual order" for your upgrade to
1MB - tell them the automated BT checker is wrong...

Regards
Sunil

Old September 20th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Mark Allison" wrote in message

Look viable to you?

Yes - ask your ISP if they can submit a "manual order" for your upgrade to
1MB - tell them the automated BT checker is wrong...

Thanks Sunil,

I'm with Eclipse, I tried to upgrade via their website, but got no joy -
I didn't get offered the 1Mb service. Do you recommend I just phone up
the support line?

Thanks.
Old September 20th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
Hi,

In view of the recent limits increase, I'm interested in getting 1Mb
broadband. I have had 512mbit for a while now, and I didn't qualify for 1mb
when I had it installed.
I'm a bit confused as BT say I should be able to get 1Mb if the attenuation is
under 60db.

Maybe the Samknows website is using an old database. Those figures would be
good for when they had limits on the 512 service but your 48db is now enough for
1mb service.

Old September 21st 04, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mark Allison" wrote in message

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Mark Allison" wrote in
message
Look viable to you?

Yes - ask your ISP if they can submit a "manual order" for your
upgrade to 1MB - tell them the automated BT checker is wrong...

I'm with Eclipse, I tried to upgrade via their website, but got no
joy - I didn't get offered the 1Mb service. Do you recommend I just
phone up the support line?

Yes - ask them to submit a manual order - tell them your router only shows a
downstream attenuation of 48.5dB and I doubt its that far out (it needs to
be under 60/64dB to get 1MB) - and see what happens when BT test your line..

If they won't submit a manual order for some reason, you can try asking BT
Wholesale to correct their checker (but thats harder!) and try ordering but
thats harder!

Regards
Sunil

Old September 21st 04, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Yes - ask them to submit a manual order - tell them your router only shows a
downstream attenuation of 48.5dB and I doubt its that far out (it needs to
be under 60/64dB to get 1MB) - and see what happens when BT test your line..

They wouldn't submit a manual order, but the friendly chap on the phone
said he will contact BT for me to double check my number. He said that
48dB attenuation should be fine for 1Mb, but if BT block it there's
nothing he can do. He also said that no other ISPs do manual orders any
more, is that true?

If I don't get any joy with Eclipse, I might migrate to another ISP and
ask them to do a manual order.

Thanks.
Old September 21st 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:23:45 +0100, Mark Allison
wrote:

Yes - ask them to submit a manual order - tell them your router only shows a
downstream attenuation of 48.5dB and I doubt its that far out (it needs to
be under 60/64dB to get 1MB) - and see what happens when BT test your line..

They wouldn't submit a manual order, but the friendly chap on the phone
said he will contact BT for me to double check my number. He said that
48dB attenuation should be fine for 1Mb, but if BT block it there's
nothing he can do. He also said that no other ISPs do manual orders any
more, is that true?

BT recently upgraded my line from 512K to 1M, and acording to my
router the downstream attenuation is 62.9db. So BT will upgrade lines
that are close on the limit.

Your other option may be to go for a combined new line/ADSL install,
on the understanding that it is for 1M ADSL, and that if it fails the
line test that BT will take it out again, and wont charge you for it.

Regards,
Martin

--

martin @ mgw (dot) org (dot) uk.
Old September 21st 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mark Allison" wrote in message

They wouldn't submit a manual order, but the friendly chap on the
phone said he will contact BT for me to double check my number. He
said that 48dB attenuation should be fine for 1Mb, but if BT block it
there's nothing he can do. He also said that no other ISPs do manual
orders any more, is that true?

I would be very suprised if thats true - even BT know that their checker is
inaccurate so...

Regards
Sunil

Old September 22nd 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Got an email from Eclipse today saying that I can now order 1mb or 2mb
broadband. Cool! Samknows has also been updated:

"BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Wilstead (SMWLS) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line.
This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS
unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will
need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Your BT ADSL code is: GGEC"

Happy bunny, I've now ordered 1mb, and may upgrade to 2mb in a few
months, depending on how the 1mb goes (if I perceive a need for 2mb).

Mark.

Old September 29th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Now surfing at 1mbit - nice.