PIPEX broadband - appalling (i.e non-existent in my case!!) support and after-sales service

Old September 20th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default PIPEX broadband - appalling (i.e non-existent in my case!!) support and after-sales service

I'm afraid (despite their reasonably good reputation) I'd say "DO NOT USE
PIPEX BROADBAND if you want any after-sales service"!!!!! T

Pipex's sales department seems to work smoothly - but when they've got your
money their support and customer services departments are absolutely
appalling, judging by my recent experience.

My line was broadband enabled 7 days ago. All kit (CD, phone socket adaptors
and Speedtouch modem) came in good time. Standard Windows XP system - modern
laptop - nothing usual. Did the necessary and plugged everything in - but
error messages all the way 'no dial tone', PPP link disconnected, (etc.);
sometimes authenticates my username and password and logs onto the broadband
system (connected at 576 - so my passport, etc, must be OK) - but
disconnects after 15 seconds and offers option to 'redial'. Tried disabling
firewall and checked everything with Dr Speedtouch software (says problem is
with ISP connection).

SO, I have emailed both customer services and support at Pipex about 5 times
during the last 6 days, setting out the problems and asking for urgent
assistance (suggesting that it's a BT problem, especially as my line loss
was 62.5 when tested - and refused broadband a few months ago). Automated
replies - no actual assistance offered. They haven't even entered a fault in
their on-line fault database - so clearly my emails have been a complete
waste of time as no human being reads them!

Have telephoned Pipex support until blue in the face and have hung on for
long periods in the usual queues!! This is expensive, time-consuming and
gets you nowhere!!!

What do I do? I've cancelled my dial-up contract with another ISP (so paying
per minute). I haven't got a broadband connection, a week later, and to add
insult to injury the broadband enabling of my line has cut the dial-up
connection speed from 48 to 32!!

SO - AVOID PIPEX AS WELL.

Any ideas? I'm minded to cancel by letter and demand a full refund + no
cancellation charge (as they've failed to supply the service they can't
charge a cancellation fee - or can they)??

--
Paul

---

Old September 21st 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:39:38 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:
What do I do? I've cancelled my dial-up contract with another ISP (so

paying
per minute). I haven't got a broadband connection, a week later, and to

add
insult to injury the broadband enabling of my line has cut the dial-up
connection speed from 48 to 32!!
SO - AVOID PIPEX AS WELL.
Any ideas? I'm minded to cancel by letter and demand a full refund + no
cancellation charge (as they've failed to supply the service they can't
charge a cancellation fee - or can they)??

My experience of Pipex has been more or less totally different to
yours.
I have just got their 15.99 connection should have been enabled
tomorrow but was enabled on Saturday afternoon and would have
connected straight off had I not miss typed my password !!.
I only got it to free up my BT line for calls has I am only running a
mail server on it and not much difference in price to dial up ,I use
Blue yonder for general Internet use with a one and a half meg
connection .
My modem has not yet arrived but I do have a FDX modem which I am
using at the moment my only complaint is the fact that they are very
unwilling to answer the phone in a timely fashion 45 minutes I was
kept on hold this afternoon while trying to chase up the modem .
Good job I dialed their geographical number using 18866 so only cost
me 1p otherwise the call would have cost a small fortune .

Wombat .

Fair comment - but the difference between us is that your connection is
working OK (something BT has done properly)! If my connection was working
I'd have no need to contact them. My connection is NOT working and I
therefore I need assistance. As you found, they don't answer their phones -
or, at least, they just put you into a queue. You were lucky to be dealt
with in 45 minutes - I gain the impression that the wait could be hours and
hours!! They offer an email address for support and say they aim to reply
within 2 days - I'm still waiting for an answer 7 days later. Honestly, I'm
too busy to hand on the phone for hours on end - I have to earn a living!!!

Thanks for comments, anyway.

Paul

---

Old September 21st 04, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Paul" wrote in message

Have telephoned Pipex support until blue in the face and have hung on for
long periods in the usual queues!! This is expensive, time-consuming and
gets you nowhere!!!

For details of the phone queues see:
http://betatest.pipex.net/headers/sqstat.htm

Are you using a Speedtouch 330?

If you manage to establish a connection and then do nothing do both lights stay
solid green or does the righthand ADSL light start flashing?

Do you have any other USB devices connected?

I also have Pipex, on a line which was previously rejected. Luckily I have not
had your problems, but I have noticed that their help desk does not reply to
emails.

Michael Chare

Old September 21st 04, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolleston

Michael Chare wrote:
For details of the phone queues see:
http://betatest.pipex.net/headers/sqstat.htm

Great. Terrific. No markings on the y-axes.

The average queue size from where I
stand is ...um ..um ... 5.87cm.

How very informative.

R.
Old September 21st 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

In article ,
Paul wrote:

My line was broadband enabled 7 days ago. All kit (CD, phone socket adaptors
and Speedtouch modem) came in good time. Standard Windows XP system - modern
laptop - nothing usual. Did the necessary and plugged everything in - but
error messages all the way 'no dial tone', PPP link disconnected, (etc.);
sometimes authenticates my username and password and logs onto the broadband
system (connected at 576 - so my passport, etc, must be OK) - but
disconnects after 15 seconds and offers option to 'redial'. Tried disabling
firewall and checked everything with Dr Speedtouch software (says problem is
with ISP connection).

This sounds like an identical problem that a colleague of mine had.
He is using BT for his broadband connection.
He could not get his PC with a ADSL modem to keep the connection up for
more that a few seconds.
He tried a new modem (no difference) and also tried powering the ADSL
modem using an external USB hub (again no joy).
Eventually, he bought a router and all is well.

We never did manage to work out the problem.

Pete
Old September 21st 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

My line was ADSL enabled a week ago and I've never been able to sync at all.

SO, I have emailed both customer services and support at Pipex about 5

times
during the last 6 days, setting out the problems and asking for urgent
assistance (suggesting that it's a BT problem, especially as my line loss
was 62.5 when tested - and refused broadband a few months ago). Automated
replies - no actual assistance offered. They haven't even entered a fault

in
their on-line fault database - so clearly my emails have been a complete
waste of time as no human being reads them!

Have telephoned Pipex support until blue in the face and have hung on for
long periods in the usual queues!! This is expensive, time-consuming and
gets you nowhere!!!

I phoned dead on 7pm last night and got through to a real person at 7:30pm -
just as I was about to hang up!! The advice I was given was to borrow a
different modem or try my modem on a different ADSL connection so as to
determine what was at fault.

What do I do? I've cancelled my dial-up contract with another ISP (so

paying
per minute). I haven't got a broadband connection, a week later, and to

add
insult to injury the broadband enabling of my line has cut the dial-up
connection speed from 48 to 32!!

Well, my ADSL enabling has done nowt to my dial up speeds which makes me
wonder even more if BT have actually enabled the right line in the exchange.

Old September 21st 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

My line was ADSL enabled a week ago and I've never been able to sync at all.

Do you know if there was DACS on that line, prior to requesting ADSL ?
Old September 22nd 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"poster" wrote in message
news
On 21 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dave" wrote:

My line was ADSL enabled a week ago and I've never been able to sync at

all.

Do you know if there was DACS on that line, prior to requesting ADSL ?

I don't think so. My dialup speed is always aroudn 42k so I think that
means it isn't DACSd.