Pipex poor service - letter to Chief Executive!!

Old September 21st 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Pipex poor service - letter to Chief Executive!!

(OK it's long - but it needed saying)!!

Pipex Xtreme Solo 500 Lite Broadband

CANCELLATION OF ACCOUNT IN VIEW OF APPALLINGLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUPPORT

I am writing to you personally in order to cancel my account with Pipex (in
UTTER DISGUST). I also hope that something can be done to improve the
appallingly poor after-sales service provided by your organisation to
broadband customers (and, no doubt - judging by extremely adverse comments I
have seen on the internet - to most other types of customer).

If senior management are not made aware of problems by customers, they are
unlikely to be kept informed of problems by those lower down the 'tree' and
thus have no opportunity to take action!

My particular circumstances are outlined below:-

1. Order placed and satisfactorily handled - BT Broadband enabled 14th
September 2004 (so far, so good - you clearly provide good pre-sales
service, but as soon as you have received the customer's money service
standards totally collapse).

2. I set up and tried to connect (in turn) with both my computers, using the
Speedtouch 330 modem supplied and software CD. As an experienced computer
and internet user I am quite certain that everything has been done properly
(correct password, use of microfilters, etc.). However, although everything
has been double-checked by me and diagnostic software run (etc.) I am unable
to obtain a working Broadband connection to Pipex, using either computer.
The diagnostic software indicates an ISP problem and the need to refer to
the ISP (that is Pipex) for assistance - which I have REPEATEDLY tried to
do, entirely without success.

3. Early on the morning of 15th September, I emailed Pipex Customer Services
outlining the problem and received an automated email indicating the need to
contact Support by email (so I forwarded a copy of the email to Support).
Automated email response from Support indicated that I could expect a reply
within 2 days (CS said 7 days) - which is a very poor estimated turnaround
time, incidentally, for both departments!!

4. Nothing heard from anybody 2 days later, so I emailed again (quoting the
reference given in the response emails) to Support. Automated response again
received - but no action by any human being. I have now, in total, emailed
Support (with some copies to CS) half a dozen times or more and have given
additional details of the problem - but the only response in each case has
been an automated email acknowledgement. I have also repeatedly telephoned
your support number and been placed in an interminably long 'queue' on each
occasion, with piped music and recorded messages. The longest period I have
waited for a response is about 30 minutes - I simply do not have 'all the
time in the world' to waste/wait. What is more, at 4 pence per minute (which
is MUCH more than BT's local call rates, as you incorrectly claim to be the
case - this misinformation needs to be corrected) sitting in a queue becomes
quite expensive. That you actually benefit from the appalling inefficiency
of your telephone support service (by receiving a 'cut' of the telephone
call charge), is an utter disgrace. (Others state that they have waited for
well over an hour before being connected to a human being).

IN CONCLUSION: Your service (which you claim is good) is in fact exceedingly
poor. I am not the only person receiving poor service - indeed, I now
discover that Pipex has a much higher level of complaints than the average
of ISPs.

At the moment, I have a Broadband-enabled line, but NO working Broadband
connection - 8 days after the service was supposed to become operational and
despite well over a dozen fruitless attempts to obtain assistance from your
support service by telephone and email.

Will you, for the sake of everybody affected, do something about the serious
shortfalls in customer service at Pipex?

Will you also arrange to have my contract with Pipex terminated immediately,
WITHOUT any disconnection charge and with FULL REFUND of all amounts so far
debited by you from my credit card? (I could ask for compensation in respect
of wasted time, telephone calls etc. but will not do so at the moment,
subject to speedy cancellation and refund).

I entered into a contract with Pipex on the understanding that you would
provide good, 'award winning', levels of service (as claimed in your
literature). I have in practice encountered absolutely abysmal service - in
that the Broadband connection which I was promised as from 14th September is
still not working properly and all attempts to contact your organisation for
advice/assistance have proved entirely fruitless.

You are in fundamental breach of your part of the contract and I therefore
wish to treat the contract as void ab initio so that I can take my custom
elsewhere - without penalty and with a full refund.

Please confirm, therefore, that 'migration' may take place (WITHOUT PENALTY,
without charge and with a full refund of all amounts paid by me) and supply
the appropriate authorisation codes (etc.)?

I look forward to receiving your response by return of post (or by FAX/email
if you wish).

Yours sincerely,

PS. OUTLINE OF TECHNICAL PROBLEM
Standard Windows XP home edition setup - modern PCs, far exceeding the
minimum specification needed for proper operation of Broadband. On
attempting to connect, "No dialtone" error message (680 I think) on most
attempts to connect; often gets further with log-in process but errors 734
or 619 appear; often the password and username are actually authenticated
and Speedtouch connection established at 288/576, but DSL connects for an
average of only 15 seconds before the entire connection drops and the system
'redials'; PPP is mostly shown as disconnected - very occasionally up to 4
seconds of PPP connection time, but no worthwhile data throughput. Same
problem with both computers - even when connected directly to BT master
socket with no other equipment plugged in, apart from the microfilter - so
the problem is not with my extension wiring as I at first thought. I
strongly suspect a BT line problem (especially as the line 'failed' the
previous Broadband criteria, having a loss of 62.5 dB) - unless there is
something wrong at Pipex's end of the connection. I have, incidentally,
tried to connect with firewall disabled - but the problem remains exactly as
before.

--
Paul

Paul Clarke
Email:
Website:
http://www.upperdenby.org.uk

---

Old September 22nd 04, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Paul" wrote in message
(OK it's long - but it needed saying)!!

Pipex Xtreme Solo 500 Lite Broadband

snip.......

LOL, refunds wanted eh?, a lack of understanding to what you signed up for,
making demands, i think we all know where they will put your letter.

Old September 22nd 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Lost me? "redials" my ADSL does not dial anything.

It just connects, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Old September 22nd 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"It's Me" wrote in message
Lost me? "redials" my ADSL does not dial anything.

It just connects, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Please dont top post...

Yes, Im sure he does know what he's talking about...,...

Old September 22nd 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thanatos

Hi

"Paul" wrote in message
(OK it's long - but it needed saying)!!

snip

Will you also arrange to have my contract with Pipex terminated
immediately,
WITHOUT any disconnection charge and with FULL REFUND of all amounts so
far
debited by you from my credit card? (I could ask for compensation in
respect
of wasted time, telephone calls etc. but will not do so at the moment,
subject to speedy cancellation and refund).

Phone your credit card company and explain that you are not receiving
what pipex are charging you for.
You will then need to write to the CC company including copies of
all the emails sent to and received from pipex, which show that you
have tried to resolve the problem.
The CC company should then investigate under 'Retail Disputes' and
get your monies back from pipex.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"It's Me" wrote in message
Lost me? "redials" my ADSL does not dial anything.

It just connects, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Certainly on Win 98, you initiate an ADSL connection with a SpeedTouch 330 in
exactly the same way as you would start an ordinary voice frequency modem
connection. - Using a DUN

The Speedtouch 330 just gets listed with all the other voice frequency modems

You even get 'No dial tone' if the 330 has not synchronised with the exchange
equipment. It is also possible to get a situation where the computer tries to
make the modem redial.

The OPs problem is that he jas to get Pipex to ask BT to check his line, and
Pipex are not responding - as usual!!

Michael Chare

Old September 22nd 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

[...]

sorry to hear your having problems, 1st make sure that you've got service
pack 2 installed as XP / USB modem / some motherboards had bugs in earlier
versions of XP.

Then you need to see if your problem is with your set-up, then BT, then
Pipex

If you think your setup is okay then see if you can get BT's test login
page:

BT Test login details:

Create a DUN with
phone number 0,38
username [email protected]_domain
password not needed - can leave it blank

If the login is successful, you can navigate to a single test page
http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo/custdemo/ which confirms that your line
has at least been activated.

if you get this then the problem is with pipex, only then can you really
start jumping up and down

Good luck
Jon

Old September 22nd 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Paul Clarke
Email:
Website:
http://www.upperdenby.org.uk

"Dave" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
(OK it's long - but it needed saying)!!

Pipex Xtreme Solo 500 Lite Broadband

snip.......

LOL, refunds wanted eh?, a lack of understanding to what you signed up

for,
making demands, i think we all know where they will put your letter.

That's why I put 'redials' and 'dialtone' in quotation marks - I've very
well aware that ADSL doesn't dial!! However, the Speedtouch software uses
those terms for some reason I find hard to understand!! Anyway, the term
'dial' has been misused for a long time - very few telephones with dials now
exist.

I'm speaking 'law of contract' - and 'unfair contract terms'.

Paul

---

Old September 22nd 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Jonathan Pearson wrote:

if you get this then the problem is with pipex, only then can you
really start jumping up and down

Good luck
Jon

p.s Pipex's geographical technical support number is 01707 299 509

Old September 22nd 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Paul" wrote
snip.....
I'm speaking 'law of contract' - and 'unfair contract terms'.

you are speaking rubbish