download limits

Old September 21st 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex McFarlane

Default download limits

Dear All,
I understand that some broadband users have a limit to how much data
they can download per month, set by their ISP.
Fortunately mine does not, unless I download an obscene amount of data
(equivalent to the contents of the British Library per day, I assume).
I have recently discovered the joys of MSN messenger when contacting my
daughter and sister in Australia. They use a broadband ISP who set a
limit.
Questions:
1 Does the use of MSN messenger use up the download quota of an
account?
2 If so how much?
3 I presume using a webcam and voice would increase the download
bandwidth considerably. Would this use the download quota? If so, by how
much per minute or hour?
Please advise
--
Alex McFarlane
Old September 22nd 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Alex McFarlane" wrote in message

1 Does the use of MSN messenger use up the download quota of an
account?

Yes.

2 If so how much?

Not much.

3 I presume using a webcam and voice would increase the download
bandwidth considerably. Would this use the download quota?

Yes and Yes.

If so, by
how much per minute or hour?

It depends on if you are using it for voice or video (and then what
resolution/frame rate etc) which uses more.

I presume you are worried as the Australian ISP has quotas..?

To be honest using MSN is unlikely to contribute much to make anyone exceed
any such quota by itself. (unless its *very* small!)

I suggest you download/install http://www.dumeter.com/ - that will measure
the bandwidth use for you.

Regards
Sunil