Cable/DSL Router and ADSL Connection

Old September 22nd 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ram

Default Cable/DSL Router and ADSL Connection

Hi,
Please excuse my ignorance on networking.

I bought a Cable/DSL Router in the US
(http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...ct_Id= 136521)
and am wondering if it will work with an ADSL connection.

I think the ADSL connection in our area is provided in the form of an
RJ11 cable. The router that I have only accepts an RJ45 cable as the
Internet/Wan source. A couple of questions.

1.) Do I need to buy a modem (assuming the above router works)?

2.) Can I get someone to crimp me a custom cable that has RJ45 on one
end and RJ11 on the other and connect this to the broadband company's
socket to get my router to work ?

Thanks,
RS
Old September 22nd 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

(http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...d=1&Product_Id
=136521)
and am wondering if it will work with an ADSL connection.

I think the ADSL connection in our area is provided in the form of an
RJ11 cable. The router that I have only accepts an RJ45 cable as the
Internet/Wan source. A couple of questions.

1.) Do I need to buy a modem (assuming the above router works)?

Yes. You need an ADSL modem with an *ethernet* output - not a USB connection
(although some have both, which is ok)

2.) Can I get someone to crimp me a custom cable that has RJ45 on one
end and RJ11 on the other and connect this to the broadband company's
socket to get my router to work ?

NO! Your router is not suitable for connecting directly to an ADSL line
without an ADSL modem. No amount of cable butchering will make it work!

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 22nd 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

(
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...ct_Id= 136521)
and am wondering if it will work with an ADSL connection.

Maybe , but not directly (see below)

I think the ADSL connection in our area is provided in the form of an
RJ11 cable. The router that I have only accepts an RJ45 cable as the
Internet/Wan source. A couple of questions.

1.) Do I need to buy a modem (assuming the above router works)?

Yes. That model does not include a modem. Get one with an Ethernet
output, then plug an Ethernet cable with RJ45 cables on both ends
between the modem and the router.

2.) Can I get someone to crimp me a custom cable that has RJ45 on one
end and RJ11 on the other and connect this to the broadband company's
socket to get my router to work ?

No. You need a modem.

Many routers also have a modem built in, but that one doesn't.
From the link:
The Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (the Router) lets you
easily share your cable or DSL modem's connection to the Internet

It also does not specify that it supports PPPoA, which is what most UK
ISPs require. PPPoE is not the same. This is why I said Maybe above.
From the link again:
Supports PPTP, PPPoE, IPSec pass through protocols and DHCP (client
and server)

For future reference, it is generally safest to buy networking
equipment generally, and most particularly anything that will connect
to the telephone system, in the country where it will be used.
Foreign equipment is not guaranteed to be able to use all the same
standards.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Old September 23rd 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ram

Thanks Alex & Tim for your replies.

I got the company to install their ADSL modem for me for now.
It is powered by the USB of my PC. All it has are a USB line to the PC
and an incoming RJ11.

I guess I cannot get this connected to my router because of its need
to derive its power. So should I try to purchase a modem locally which
(as both of you mentioned) has an ethernet slot along with the RJ11
and USB.

Thanks,
Ram

Alex Heney wrote in message . ..
[...]

From the link:
The Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (the Router) lets you
easily share your cable or DSL modem's connection to the Internet

It also does not specify that it supports PPPoA, which is what most UK
ISPs require. PPPoE is not the same. This is why I said Maybe above.
From the link again: