Measuring bandwidth usage

Old September 22nd 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Default Measuring bandwidth usage

Hi,

I want to install a bit of software which measures my bandwidth use.
However I have a problem because I have a home LAN and use a router. So,
let's say I copy 5Gb of music from my desktop to my laptop, I don't want
this traffic to be recorded in my DSL usage.

I only want to record network traffic which is going through the DSL
gateway, and want to ignore all local traffic. Does anyone have any
ideas? My router doesn't provide this info.

Mark.
Old September 22nd 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:12:49 +0100, Mark Allison
wrote:

Hi,

I want to install a bit of software which measures my bandwidth use.
However I have a problem because I have a home LAN and use a router. So,
let's say I copy 5Gb of music from my desktop to my laptop, I don't want
this traffic to be recorded in my DSL usage.

I only want to record network traffic which is going through the DSL
gateway, and want to ignore all local traffic. Does anyone have any
ideas? My router doesn't provide this info.

What you want is to monitor traffic between your machine and only the
IP of your router. A quick Google for "ip bandwidth monitor" reveals
many results.

--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Old September 22nd 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

you want something like http://www.paessler.com/products/prtg/?link=home1
its uses the SNMP protocol that most routers have the ability to use. So
once the router is enabled to log the SNMP traffic that software retrieves
it from the router and gives you a nice bar graph

Old September 22nd 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Gus wrote:
you want something like http://www.paessler.com/products/prtg/?link=home1
its uses the SNMP protocol that most routers have the ability to use. So
once the router is enabled to log the SNMP traffic that software retrieves
it from the router and gives you a nice bar graph

Indeed, I can vouch for Paessler's PRTG - great peice of software. Even
better is version 4 which has only just been released (I've been beta
testing it for a few months).

There's a freeware version available which is good for the monitoring of
1 SNMP OID - but if your after improved monitoring, you'll want the full
version.

Good news then that UK-Bug.net has arranged a discount of 15% off the
normal 27.31 price then eh? (price based on 1.46 Euro to the Pound)

Details on Bug by the end of the day.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins