PlusNet - disconnection

Old September 22nd 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

Default PlusNet - disconnection

Just wondering, how much do I need to pay if I would like to disconnect my
plus.net broadband? I'm under the annual contract but I'm moving house
very soon (and still have another 6 months to go) and thinking if it is
cheaper if I go for NTL (with current offer of 2 months free connection
with free a year phone connection). I've search through plus.net website
but I couldn't get a definitive answer.
Old September 22nd 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

best if you phone them or message one of the more active CS on the plusnet
forum, but if you haven't paid the years contract in full then you will have
the remainder to pay plus any disconnection fee. That isnt fixed depending
if you have only been with them less than a year and if you had your
connection fee spread over the year or if it was paid up front as well.

So Phone them.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Wira One wrote:
Just wondering, how much do I need to pay if I would like to
disconnect my plus.net broadband? I'm under the annual contract but
I'm moving house very soon (and still have another 6 months to go)
and thinking if it is cheaper if I go for NTL (with current offer
of 2 months free connection with free a year phone connection).
I've search through plus.net website but I couldn't get a
definitive answer.

Are you sure about going to NTL, 1gig a day cap, email & usenet servers
continually on the blink, constantly falling over (non)transparent proxies &
depending on your area possible over subscription. I was with them for over
5 years & non of their promises of upgrades/improvements came to anything,
even the supposed speed increase only took my connection/thru put speeds up
to where they should have been before hand.

Oh I forgot, their 24 hour support is only available during office hours as
well, if you can actually get thru to someone who can actually deal with
your problem.

I won't say Plusnet is perfect but at least they do attempt to do something
(NTL don't even monitor their own internal support usenet groups, well
officially, & their announce usenet groups just regutitates the monthly faq
& that's it.

Remember cheapness in the pocket could be expensive in other ways......

Old September 22nd 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Wira One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Just wondering, how much do I need to pay if I would like to disconnect my
plus.net broadband? I'm under the annual contract but I'm moving house
very soon (and still have another 6 months to go) and thinking if it is
cheaper if I go for NTL (with current offer of 2 months free connection
with free a year phone connection). I've search through plus.net website
but I couldn't get a definitive answer.

Not quite true.

You can only take advantage of one NTL offer. Either:
1) Free Line Rental for 12 months (worth £9.50 * 12)
2) 2 Months Free Broadband (worth £24.99 * 2 @ 750K, £17.99 * 2 @ 300K).
3) 3 Months Half Price Broadband (worth not quite as much as 2) ).

AMO

Old September 22nd 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

Default ntl: drawbacks (was: PlusNet - disconnection)

In message ,
Kráftéé writes
Are you sure about going to NTL, 1gig a day cap, email & usenet servers
continually on the blink, constantly falling over (non)transparent proxies &
depending on your area possible over subscription. I was with them for over
5 years & non of their promises of upgrades/improvements came to anything,
even the supposed speed increase only took my connection/thru put speeds up
to where they should have been before hand.

The web proxies are the biggest drawback of ntl:. I could add a few more
comments to the above list:

* only 128k upstream on the 750k service (for 256k you need to take the
1.5Mbit service)

* only one DHCP allocated IP address (two if you have console service)
with no option for static IP or a routed IP block - this, in turn,
means you can't choose your reverse DNS

* no UPS protection of network side kit (even if you have a UPS, your
ntl: Internet connection is dead during a power cut)

* AUP / T&C limit on the number of computers behind your router (not
sure how they'll enforce this, but...)

* AUP / T&C limit against any business use - so homeworkers are on
potentially dodgy ground

* AUP / T&C rules allowing ntl: to stop you from using VPN if they
regard your usage of VPN as disruptive

Oh I forgot, their 24 hour support is only available during office hours as
well, if you can actually get thru to someone who can actually deal with
your problem.

Support has definitely been eroded over the years - these days, they'll
only take telephone faults out of hours, and reporting a cable modem
fault can be extremely awkward.

Meanwhile, their telephone deal isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you
take an ntl: TV package which includes a phone line, the cost of the TV
package is usually about the same as an equivalent Sky package and BT
phone line rental.

ntl: phone call charges tend to be a little bit higher than BT
(especially because ntl: levy a connection charge, rather than BT's
minimum call charge - a connection charge doesn't buy any talk time).

ntl: phones can't access many systems that provide cheaper calls.

Caller ID isn't available in some ntl: franchises.

For years I've had ntl: "Family Pack" TV, an ntl: phone line and ntl:
600k (now 750k) cable modem service.

I've long since stopped making all but the most trivial use of the ntl:
phone line. We only had it installed because it was a cheap way of
getting a second line for Internet use. Our main phone line remained
with BT.

When BT Highway came out, a few spreadsheets showed that ntl:'s (well,
in those days, Cabletel's) call charges for 0845 were so expensive that
I could upgrade the BT line to BT Highway and use that for Internet
access for a similar total monthly bills - the extra BT rental was
cancelled out by cheaper call charges.

When ntl: launched cable modems in this area, we eventually went for one
of those - and started to use the BT Highway as two voice phone lines,
using the ISDN capabilities only for calling the Internet when the ntl:
system was down. BT didn't ADSL enable the phone exchange for over two
years after ntl: cable modems became available.

A couple of months ago, my exasperation with ntl:'s cable modem service
grew to the point where I and the other users here had had enough. We
decided to convert the BT Highway to two PSTN lines (in the process
dropping from Option 2 to Option 1, as we don't make enough off-peak
calls to justify the Option 2 charge now that the first hour of off-peak
calls is capped at a low figure). This produced a phone bill saving of
around 9 pounds a month, less maybe a pound of call charges (shame about
the 125 pounds of installation costs...).

Zen Home 1000 ADSL (with a routed /29 IP block) is being activated on
one of the BT lines next Tuesday - this is a significantly more
expensive package than ntl: 750k, but the BT bill savings cancel out
about half the difference.

If I had my way, we'd get rid of the ntl: TV and phone line as well.
ntl: really haven't made full advantage of their digital cable TV
platform IMHO, and, if it weren't for the bin lid on the side of the
house, we'd go to Sky in an instant. The Sky equivalent of the ntl: pack
we have is around 9 pounds per month cheaper - though it doesn't include
a phone line.

The ntl: phone line these days is simply used as our published fax
number, but doesn't get that much traffic and could probably be replaced
with 0870 fax to email (such service can be acquired free of charge
these days).

I may well start giving out 0870 fax to email numbers soon to migrate
users away from the ntl: number - so that if I eventually got rid of it,
it wouldn't be missed. This parallels the way that I ran email on
domains I own alongside my old ISP email address for a couple of years
before silently withdrawing the ISP email.

David
--
David Wood

Old September 22nd 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Kráftéé wrote:

Wira One wrote:
[...]

I used NTL for three years, and honestly, you don't want to go there,
You'll never get Email (Ok a slight exaggeration there!), the news
server is *the* worst ever, and forget customer support at all.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old September 23rd 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

Thanks all for the feedback, I guess I'll just do the move house option
then.. well, after hearing all the bad things about ntl .. I guess £68 is
worth it to spend rather than going through all the hassle as per all the
feedbacks that were posted.
Old September 23rd 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Troll Slayer - Troll-Alert.net

"Wira One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Just wondering, how much do I need to pay if I would like to disconnect my
plus.net broadband? I'm under the annual contract but I'm moving house
very soon (and still have another 6 months to go) and thinking if it is
cheaper if I go for NTL (with current offer of 2 months free connection
with free a year phone connection). I've search through plus.net website
but I couldn't get a definitive answer.

I would like to know how much more i have to pay to keep my plusnet
connected! Getting fed up of having to reboot my router cos of
--
~*~Troll Slayer~*~ || Troll-Alert.net
e-mail:alerts [at] troll-alert.net