Swapping from NTL to ADSL.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Higgs

Default Swapping from NTL to ADSL.

So I've just about had enough of NTL, and want to swap to ADSL. However
NTL provide my phone-line currently, and although there is a BT socket
in the house, I can't find out if I'll be able to get ADSL. What is the
next step?

Also recommendations for a no-frills high quality provider. I don't need
e-mail/news as I'll stick with Gradwell.

Simon.
Old September 22nd 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"Simon Higgs" wrote in message
.. .
So I've just about had enough of NTL, and want to swap to ADSL. However
NTL provide my phone-line currently, and although there is a BT socket
in the house, I can't find out if I'll be able to get ADSL. What is the
next step?

Also recommendations for a no-frills high quality provider. I don't need
e-mail/news as I'll stick with Gradwell.

Go to BT.com ( http://tinyurl.com/44qy9 - This is the link for new lines)
and follow the directions)...

BT also do a "no-frills" Broadband service. from 19.99 upwards.... worth
checking it out.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Lo Salt wrote:
"Simon Higgs" wrote in message
.. .

So I've just about had enough of NTL, and want to swap to ADSL. However
NTL provide my phone-line currently, and although there is a BT socket
in the house, I can't find out if I'll be able to get ADSL. What is the
next step?

Also recommendations for a no-frills high quality provider. I don't need
e-mail/news as I'll stick with Gradwell.

Go to BT.com ( http://tinyurl.com/44qy9 - This is the link for new lines)
and follow the directions)...

BT also do a "no-frills" Broadband service. from 19.99 upwards.... worth
checking it out.

Just to mention. BT's product is capped. 19.99 is 1gb / month, 24.99
(25.99 if paying by CC) is 15gb / month. Someone like Plusnet / NDO /
Eclipse or even Metronet might be a better option.
Old September 22nd 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Pants

"Simon Higgs" wrote in message
.. .
So I've just about had enough of NTL, and want to swap to ADSL. However
NTL provide my phone-line currently, and although there is a BT socket
in the house, I can't find out if I'll be able to get ADSL. What is the
next step?

Also recommendations for a no-frills high quality provider. I don't need
e-mail/news as I'll stick with Gradwell.

Simon.

I've just done exactly this - I moved from NTL back to BT.

And then I got Plusnet installed. It all went more or less like a dream -
except NTL are still sending me bloody bills.

It turns out you have to cancel in writing, and then they need one months'
notice from receipt of the letter. So if you are going to move in a month,
I'd send them the cancellation notice now...

Chris

Old September 22nd 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Mr Pants wrote:

I've just done exactly this - I moved from NTL back to BT.

And then I got Plusnet installed. It all went more or less like a dream -
except NTL are still sending me bloody bills.

I've just migrated my In Laws from NTL to ADSL.

It turns out you have to cancel in writing, and then they need one months'
notice from receipt of the letter. So if you are going to move in a month,
I'd send them the cancellation notice now...

I'll draft a letter right now for them to sign and send ! I'm going to get them
to cancel the DD straight after next month's payment.

What's the postal address of NTL you need to send the letter to ?

Old September 22nd 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , Simon Higgs
writes
So I've just about had enough of NTL, and want to swap to ADSL. However
NTL provide my phone-line currently, and although there is a BT socket
in the house, I can't find out if I'll be able to get ADSL. What is the
next step?

Also recommendations for a no-frills high quality provider. I don't need
e-mail/news as I'll stick with Gradwell.

As I've mentioned in gradwell.support earlier, I've just gone with Zen
Home 1000 with a /29 routed IP block. It's not the cheapest option by
any means at 40 pounds per month, but the folk at ADSLguide seem to rate
them highly enough. I'll know how it works out when I'm activated (on or
before Tuesday - assuming I get the ADSL equipment I've ordered by
then!).

They are full service (I think most of the ADSL ISPs are), but I shall
just add the mail account to my POP3 mail collection in the Gradwell
control panel, and ignore the web space. I'll also ignore the news
server unless there's any internal newsgroups (and keep using
news.gradwell.net).

Plusnet was another option - but with their recent price cuts, it seems
that everyone is heading there and I fear for service quality. I'm aware
that Zen may not be able to maintain their current setup forever - they
are currently using BT Standard pricing and have said they don't fancy
CBC, so if BT withdraw Standard when they introduce UBC, they may have
to change. As my Zen minimum contract is only one month, I'll migrate if
it seems wise to do so.

Much as I don't like capped service, my usage is relatively moderate -
around 8-9GB per month, and I expect to stay around that level. If I had
to accept a cap of 30GB per month, I think I'd be relatively happy.

So far as trying to get an idea on ADSL availability goes, can you get a
BT phone number from one or more of your neighbours? That will still
only be a guide - but a more reliable one than the postcode checker.

David
--
David Wood

Old September 22nd 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Mr Pants wrote:

I've just done exactly this - I moved from NTL back to BT.

And then I got Plusnet installed. It all went more or less like a

dream -
except NTL are still sending me bloody bills.

I've just migrated my In Laws from NTL to ADSL.

It turns out you have to cancel in writing, and then they need one

months'
notice from receipt of the letter. So if you are going to move in a

month,
I'd send them the cancellation notice now...

I'll draft a letter right now for them to sign and send ! I'm going to get

them
to cancel the DD straight after next month's payment.

What's the postal address of NTL you need to send the letter to ?

Not sure, but it could be

ntl Group Limited
ntl House
Bartley Wood Business Park
Hook
Hampshire
RG27 9XA

This is the address of the Registered office...

Best to phone them up and confirm the addrss...
also send it by Special Delviery so they can't turn arround and say they
didn't get it....

Old September 22nd 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

David Wood wrote:

[snip]

So far as trying to get an idea on ADSL availability goes, can you get a
BT phone number from one or more of your neighbours? That will still
only be a guide - but a more reliable one than the postcode checker.

BT abolished the previous 6km/60dB line limit for 512k ADSL earlier
this month. In short anyone can apply for a 512k service regardless
of line length (not that that is any guarantee the service will actually work when
installed)

Old September 22nd 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Pants

Mr Pants wrote:

[...]

I sent my cancellation letter to ...

NTL House
209 Airport Road West
Belfast
BT3 9EZ

..... not registered, but then I rang up to check that they'd got it a few
days later.

Old September 23rd 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , Mark Carver
writes
David Wood wrote:

[snip]

So far as trying to get an idea on ADSL availability goes, can you get a
BT phone number from one or more of your neighbours? That will still
only be a guide - but a more reliable one than the postcode checker.

BT abolished the previous 6km/60dB line limit for 512k ADSL earlier
this month. In short anyone can apply for a 512k service regardless
of line length (not that that is any guarantee the service will
actually work when
installed)

Which was why I was suggesting neighbours' BT phone numbers.

The postcode checker can make false assumptions - not least because I
understand it assumes connection to the geographically nearest exchange,
not the one actually connected to, which may not be ADSL enabled, or may
have such a long line length that despite BT's efforts, 512k will not
work. There may also be TPON in the area - again, a check on neighbour's
BT numbers will provide some reassurance on that.

If the original poster tests neighbours' numbers, and they all come back
with an ADSL code of GGEX or GGEC (OK for 2Mbit downwards, exchange
enabled), then there's a fair chance he has his pick of ADSL services.

If neighbours' phone numbers start bringing up the "very unlikely"
message, then it may be a time to tread very carefully - whilst BT will
enable the line, it may be impossible to get it to work.

David
--
David Wood