ISP limitation or MS Outlook / Outlook Express limitation?

Old September 22nd 04, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

Default ISP limitation or MS Outlook / Outlook Express limitation?

A friend of mine is trying to send email in bulk to about 600 people to keep
them updated with events etc.

He selects all the contacts and puts them into the BCC section.

He then types his email in the normal way.

When pressing send, MS Outlook Express gives an error message that the
message could not be sent as the recipient is invalid.

Now, if he does this in blocks of 20 contacts, everything appears fine.

However, if he tries to do all 600 in one go, it gives this error.

Where is the error coming from, ISP or Outlook or a limitation on the string
length your put in the BCC header or what?

Also, how would one get around this problem?

Thanx

AMO

Old September 22nd 04, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

the isp limits it to prevent spamming.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in the
Slipstick Ratings Raffle at http://www.slipstick.com/contest/

Old September 22nd 04, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 22 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "AMO" wrote:

Also, how would one get around this problem?

Some hosting services offer mail lists, esp ones where the recipients get a
regular ('subscribed' reminder) message, have to confirm they've "opted in"
and can cancel whenever they want. There are other, perhaps expensive ways
to handle mailing lists, but it might be worth getting some hosting deal at
a tenner a year or so, to handle this, rather than messing with it all by
hand and spending time on workarounds for MS s/w to do it. Peter M.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

the isp limits it to prevent spamming.

Don't know if this applies to Outlook E but I use Pocomail and there is
a facility in that to send in blocks of your choosing.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 23rd 04, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"poster" wrote in message
Some hosting services offer mail lists, esp ones where the recipients get

regular ('subscribed' reminder) message, have to confirm they've "opted

in"
and can cancel whenever they want. There are other, perhaps expensive

ways
to handle mailing lists, but it might be worth getting some hosting deal

at
a tenner a year or so, to handle this, rather than messing with it all by
hand and spending time on workarounds for MS s/w to do it. Peter M.

Thanx for everyone that posted a response to this.

My friend isn't very I.T. literate and I was trying to find an easy solution
for him. I also don't want it to be costly as his overheads are increasing.

Whilst I understand NTL's reasons for limiting spam, it does cause my friend
some grief.

I was looking at some bulk email software and wondered whether that would
also get around the problem.

David's suggestion of PocoMail sounds like this might be the only easy way
forward.

I was going to get someone to write a piece of software to send them out one
by one, but its a little tricky getting that software to know which email
currently open in MS Outlook that needs to be sent en masse. There are
various other problems going down the programming route also.

AMO

Old September 23rd 04, 04:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 22 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Diane" wrote:

Yahoogroups offers mail list services for free...

Maybe, but I would be far from surprised if spam trapping s/w also
notes the material came via Yahoo and treats it appropriately :-)
Old September 23rd 04, 08:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From AMO on 23/Sep/2004 00:53:
"poster" wrote in message

[...]

The easiest solution is a web host that supplies mailing lists, some ISPs also
provide this (e.g. PlusNet). Alternatively use Yahoo Groups. Both of these have
already been mentioned.

Yahoo Groups is fine, I subscribe to several and they are generally pretty free
of spam. You can add a variety of options to get them completely free if you can
be bothered. For your purposes, you could make the group moderator posting only.
It works well and is free.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old September 23rd 04, 08:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From AMO on 23/Sep/2004 00:53:
"poster" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, I also should have said that I wouldn't bother with the Outlook
programming. I have done a fair bit of this and it is a painful experience at best.

If you want to go the programming route I suggest using some kind of scripting
language such as Python or locally installed PHP. These have libraries that
allow you to send emails so you could easily write a loop to send messages out
in groups of whatever you wanted.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:22:21 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 22 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Diane" wrote:

Yahoogroups offers mail list services for free...

Maybe, but I would be far from surprised if spam trapping s/w also
notes the material came via Yahoo and treats it appropriately :-)

I am in several Yahoo mailing lists, and have very rarely had a
problem.

When BTYahoo first introduced their Spam guard, some of them were
being trapped for the first few, but it didn't last long.

Plusnet are not marking any of them as Spam.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Computer - A device designed to speed and automate errors.