strange!?!

Old September 22nd 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fitzy_bhoy

Default strange!?!

My phone has been disconnected as of 10pm due to the fact that I am moving
house tomorrow. But I am still able to recieve internet through my ADSL
connection, how is this possible. All I get on the phone is a dull tone
which doesn't change whenever I press any buttons.

Thanks
John

Old September 22nd 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message ,
fitzy_bhoy writes
My phone has been disconnected as of 10pm due to the fact that I am moving
house tomorrow. But I am still able to recieve internet through my ADSL
connection, how is this possible.

Because, contrary to popular belief, having the line disconnected
doesn't involve a BT engineer and a pair of wire cutters. I'd suggest
the Voice service and broadband are dealt with by two different
departments, so your voice service is suspended (electronically) but
the DSL hasn't yet been stopped.

--
Clint Sharp
Old September 23rd 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Clint Sharp wrote:

In message ,
fitzy_bhoy writes
My phone has been disconnected as of 10pm due to the fact that I am
moving house tomorrow. But I am still able to recieve internet
through my ADSL connection, how is this possible.
All I get on the phone is a dull tone
which doesn't change whenever I press any buttons.

Thanks
John

Because, contrary to popular belief, having the line disconnected
doesn't involve a BT engineer and a pair of wire cutters. I'd suggest
the Voice service and broadband are dealt with by two different
departments, so your voice service is suspended (electronically) but
the DSL hasn't yet been stopped.

I would agree with that. My line was converted from Home Highway to ADSL -
so, in my case, it *did* have to be dis-connected at the exchange and
re-connected into a different rack. However, ADSL was then enabled *first* -
and it required a separate operation by the BT engineer to turn on the dial
tone before it could be used for voice calls.

In the OP's case, dial tone has been disabled but ADSL hasn't.
--
Cheers,
Tim