Overnight switch off or not

Old September 22nd 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Overnight switch off or not

I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be connected
24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so is there any
particular reason for continuous connection please.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 22nd 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

David G [email protected] wrote:

I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be connected
24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so is there any
particular reason for continuous connection please.

Not really. Unless you need overnight connection, why not save the electricity and
power down?

--
The reply to email address is a copy of a spammer's address
Please feel free to use it.
Old September 22nd 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

David G wrote:

I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be connected
24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so is there any
particular reason for continuous connection please.

Most failures occur at boot-up, it's quite a jolt to a cold system.

That said, you're not likely to squeeze much extra life out of it, and
the electricity cost would probably off-set any saving by the slight
life-time extention.

24/7 does allow you to run nocturnal virus scans, scheduled defrags and
windows update downloads, should you feel so inclined, and website
that's only there daytime hours is also a pain should you wish to do
your own hosting.

Mine's on purely for uploading/downloading though.
--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com)
Old September 22nd 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zaax

In article , Andrew Sayers
writes
David G [email protected] wrote:

I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be connected
24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so is there any
particular reason for continuous connection please.

Not really. Unless you need overnight connection, why not save the
electricity and
power down?

And the best anti-virus, spam, fire et al measure there is
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Old September 23rd 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David G [email protected] wrote:

I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be
connected 24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so
is there any particular reason for continuous connection please.

I power my *computers* down at night - but leave my *ADSL Router* (which
doesn't take much power anyway) up and running. This means that as soon as
any of the household computers is switched on in the morning, an internet
connection is instantly available.

There *does* seem to be some activity on the line (port scans?) even with
the computers switched off but this can't do any harm. I suppose it
increases the data volume marginally, but not enough to worry about - even
if I were on a capped service and had to pay for extra gigobytes.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 23rd 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message
I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be connected
24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected), so is there any
particular reason for continuous connection please.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)

One possible benefit of turning off your broadband modem/router at night is
that it usually causes your IP address to change by relinquishing your DHCP
lease. This makes it slightly harder for hackers, the CIA, etc. to track
your PC. Or am I just paranoid?

Old September 23rd 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Simon wrote:

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message
I have noticed reading through this group that most seem to be
connected 24/7. I always power down overnight (not yet connected),
so is there any particular reason for continuous connection please.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)

One possible benefit of turning off your broadband modem/router at
night is that it usually causes your IP address to change by
relinquishing your DHCP lease. This makes it slightly harder for
hackers, the CIA, etc. to track your PC. Or am I just paranoid?

Probably. With PlusNet ADSL accounts you always get the same IP address
anyway!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 23rd 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Goose

In message , Tiscali Tim
writes

There *does* seem to be some activity on the line (port scans?) even with
the computers switched off but this can't do any harm. I suppose it
increases the data volume marginally, but not enough to worry about - even
if I were on a capped service and had to pay for extra gigobytes.

I get about 250kB per day of activity when I am away according to the
View My Usage page at Plusnet.
--
Martin Goose "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly
understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to withstand forces
Old September 24th 04, 02:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Martin Goose wrote:

I get about 250kB per day of activity when I am away according to the
View My Usage page at Plusnet.

It reported 700 kb (+/- 50 kb a day) for 10 days straight on a friend's
account during a period when no-one was home to use their PC (which was
definitely not connected, as it was with his son to do some upgrades).
Old September 24th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

On 23 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Martin Goose wrote:

I get about 250kB per day of activity when I am away according to the
View My Usage page at Plusnet.

It reported 700 kb (+/- 50 kb a day) for 10 days straight on a
friend's account during a period when no-one was home to use their PC
(which was definitely not connected, as it was with his son to do
some upgrades).

Even at 1MB per day (30 MB per month) its hardly likely to make you exceed
the contracted number of GB - unless you are very close to the limit.
--
Cheers,
Tim