512k to 1MBit question

Old September 23rd 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default 512k to 1MBit question

Hi all,
Logged on this morning (07:45) to find my regrade to 1MBit has taken
place as planned. However, although the speed tests are reporting higher
speeds, the downloads are still transferring at 60kbps like they did before,
and I am having trouble streaming.

The NDO site still says the regrade is still to be completed. Could it be
the regrade is not 100% yet? Or is this what I'm to expect?

For reference, I can now get the 1MBit as a result of the new line limits.

Simon

Old September 23rd 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lo Salt

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
Hi all,
Logged on this morning (07:45) to find my regrade to 1MBit has

taken
place as planned. However, although the speed tests are reporting higher
speeds, the downloads are still transferring at 60kbps like they did

before,
and I am having trouble streaming.

The NDO site still says the regrade is still to be completed. Could it be
the regrade is not 100% yet? Or is this what I'm to expect?

For reference, I can now get the 1MBit as a result of the new line limits.

Simon

Best bet is to phone NDO and ask them...

Old September 23rd 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Lo Salt" wrote in message

Best bet is to phone NDO and ask them...

I would, but I have laryngitis!

Simon (Off work)

Old September 23rd 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Simon Ough wrote:
"Lo Salt" wrote in message

Best bet is to phone NDO and ask them...

I would, but I have laryngitis!

Simon (Off work)

You done a speed test on ADSLGuide.org.uk? What does that come out at?
Old September 23rd 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

It comes out at:

Downstream 913 Kbps (114.1 KB/sec) 986 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 238 Kbps (29.8 KB/sec) 257 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Although, with 512k, my downloads were going through at about 55-60kb/sec.
Now, they are only going at about 65-70k. I thought they'd go at about
110-120kb/sec (Twice the speed)???

Simon

Old September 23rd 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

I presume it is down to the server at the other end?

Old September 23rd 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Simon Ough" wrote:

I presume it is down to the server at the other end?

Certainly a factor... if you connect to some higher speed services, do they
stream reliably (you might try the Plus.Net webcams off their support page),
at speed (I'm getting 80-90 kBps from their entrance cam while listening to
a radio service with RealPlayer... if I pause RP I can get 110-128 kBps off
that webcam (reported by my firewall). Starting up streaming audio from a
station such as www.wnua.com ( http://ccdig.liquidviewer.com/wnua ) gives
me a pretty steady 26 kBps for the audio stream and the webcam drops back
to around 80 kBps, but I have seen the webcam drop down to 70 kBps during
'busy' periods (1800-2200) without my having other PCs taking a share of
this ADSL link (I have 500k and 1000k links here). Peter M.

(PS Any idea if/when listings on http://www.mediabullet.co.uk/tvguide
will be working again... I rather miss them :-)
Old September 24th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I have managed to download a file at 113K, so all is well

The TV Guide section should be back shortly. We're going to be re-vamping
the whole site soon - so keep watching

Simon

Old October 16th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 23 Sep 2004 23:13, I wrote:

I have seen the webcam drop down to 70 kBps during 'busy' periods

My firewall is reporting 117/8/9 kBps from the webcam and 26/27/28 kBps from
WNUA. Throttling my link from 2000 kbps to 1000 kbps isn't so reliable :-)

For info, the ADSLguide speed test doesn't seem to pull enough data for the
firewall to reach higher than 118 kBps, while my firewall is still reporting
140 (+/- 4) kBps (and I disconnected the other ADSL router from the LAN so
there can be no traffic to/from that connection anyway). Peter M.