BT USB modem problem

Old September 23rd 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default BT USB modem problem

A colleague has run into a problem with her BT Broadband ADSL installation,
and we think the trouble is down to the modem driver installation.
Everything was running fine and XP SP2 hadn't caused any problems, but last
week, out of the blue, the modem stopped working. On the phone to BT
support, they had to try a number of tricks to get the modem recognised
again, and since that time it hasn't been able to connect through MSN
Messenger.

Now, here are the oddities - the modem software can't be uninstalled in
Add/Remove Programs - the entry just goes grey for a few moments, then
reappears as normal. There isn't a system tray entry which can be right
clicked for the uninstall option.

We found the entry in Device Manager and deleted the entry, but when we
tried to install the new drivers (after a cold boot) the installation
software kicked us back saying that there was an existing software
installation, and to click here to uninstall it. Needless to say, this
failed.

So, we're left with a modem which won't uninstall, MSN Messenger which won't
work and much scratching of heads. Can anyone offer any advice?

TIA

Old September 23rd 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?
Press F8 before Windows starts to load for the Boot Menu.

Martin.

Old September 23rd 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

Look on the CD that came with the modem for an exe file that will do a total
uninstall including the registry entries. Unfortunately, the file may not
have a particularly meaningful name.

Old September 23rd 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Yes, we tried Safe Mode with the same results. The modem, by the way, is a
BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem

Old September 23rd 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

There's nothing remotely on the CD which makes any reference to uninstalling
the damn thing. The only executable file is for installation/setup.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

You could try running the setup again - it may detect the current drivers
and off to repair or uninstall them for you...

Martin.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

No dice - the setup tells us that there's already a driver installed and do
we want to uninstall it. Click on yes and the uninstallation fails, and so
the setup halts. Grrr!

Old September 23rd 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

On 23/09/04, 19:19:21, "Bob" wrote regarding BT
[...]

First unplug the adsl modem. On the cd there should be a program called
doctor.exe or something similar, double click it (nothing much happens)
then double click install/setup. Follow the instructions, and only plug
in the modem when asked too. Hopefully that should do it, I had the same
problem about a year ago(I hope I remembered it correctly). I have since
gone to an ethernet modem/router, no drivers to worry about, and they
work with every OS there is. I can't help with MSN Messenger as I usually
disable it.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old September 24th 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

Suggest you try phoning the Voyager helpline. I know it's premium rate but
they solved the problem I had with my Voyager 2000 router in about 2 mins so
it only cost me about 1. Was well worth it compared to the hours I spent
trying to fix the drivers on my device.