DG834G - Rebooting any ideas

Old September 23rd 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Shuntfield

Default DG834G - Rebooting any ideas

I have recently upgraded to a 1mbps from a 512kbps service

The Line attenuation is 55dB Occationally the router is fully rebooting, all
the lights extinguish and the router restarts.

Although I did not notice it, it may have been doing it with the 512kbps
service. Netgear has replaced the router with a V2 DG834G unit, having
connected it all up today this new router had already rebooted once.

Its not a major hassle, I have reflashed the firmware, and dropped it back
to the 1.04.01 firmware.

The router is not loosing sync thats what makes me think there is a
different problem. It does this when there are no computers switched on, on
the network so it cannot be a multiple connection through the router such as
a virus causing it to fall over. (my norton av is upto date on all machines)

There are also two network printers connected to the router with cables.

Any Ideas welcomed

Shunt....

Old September 24th 04, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

The Shuntfield wrote:
[...]

All I can offer is that you are not alone, my V2 suffers from intermittent
rebooting also. I have reported this to Netgear & other than a short email
saying that they don't understand what I meant by rebooting absolutley
nothing.

Suggest you report it to Netgear as well, hopefully they will get around to
doing something about it eventually but I must say that I'm not impressed
with their after sales/support (& this is after 10 years of using other
assorted Netgear products with no problems at all)

Old September 24th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
The Shuntfield wrote:
[...]

Have you tried upgrading to the v1.05.00 firmware, then performing a factory
reset? I found the v1.05.00 firmware much more stable on BT than 1.04.01 -
the adsl driver is different between these versions. My Dg834G stays up for
days/weeks...well unless the line goes down or I reboot it myself

Old September 24th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:32:08 +0100, "The Shuntfield"
wrote:

[...]

Firmware v1.05 actually uses a slighly older version of the ADSL
microcode because there were problems with v1.0401 - also my router
has never been more stable since the upgrade. Two months without
fault now, although I did reset it after 36 days by unplugging and
moving the unit. It did not require the reset and has run 30 days
since then also without requiring a recent.
Old September 24th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

MM wrote:

: Have you tried upgrading to the v1.05.00 firmware, then performing a factory
: reset? I found the v1.05.00 firmware much more stable on BT than 1.04.01 -
: the adsl driver is different between these versions. My Dg834G stays up for
: days/weeks...well unless the line goes down or I reboot it myself

Mine is also in the days/weeks camp!
Old September 24th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

MM wrote:
"Kráftéé" wrote in message
The Shuntfield wrote:
[...]

Have already done so, but what the hell I'll do it again, it helps pass the
time......

Old September 24th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:04:20 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

MM wrote:

: Have you tried upgrading to the v1.05.00 firmware, then performing a factory
: reset? I found the v1.05.00 firmware much more stable on BT than 1.04.01 -
: the adsl driver is different between these versions. My Dg834G stays up for
: days/weeks...well unless the line goes down or I reboot it myself

Mine is also in the days/weeks camp!

I'm heading for months....

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old September 25th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Shuntfield

The saga continues

I phone Netgear support (agree its pretty dire) and they have replaced the
router with a Version 2 router which does the same thing.

However thinking it might have been a firmware problem I downgraded the
firmware to 1.04.01 - Today the router locked up. When I came home from work
I fired my laptop up - No signal checked the router no Wireless Light on.
All others seemed OK. So I tried to connect to the router via a cabled PC.

No joy there. Eventually had to power cycle the router.

Although it hasn't as far as I can tell restarted on its own accord (Log
gets wiped on a restart)

Still on-going.....

Shunt.....