What future for uncapped services?

Old September 24th 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Buttery

Default What future for uncapped services?

This question stems from Luke of PlusNet's comment in the "Plusnet
Binaries, How long will it last........" thread a few days ago,
wherein he said this:

with the way BT are charging for ADSL at present (ie capacity based
charging), I think it will be inevitable that capping on a grand
scale will come into place for your total data transfer and no ISP
will be able to afford subsidising an "Unlimited" service.

That's as clear a signal as you could hope for that PlusNet are at
least thinking about introducing some form of capping in the
foreseeable future, I would have thought. And if they do, I imagine
most or all of their competitors will do the same eventually. Those
of you who are more knowledgeable than me (ie most of you!), any
ideas on what might happen and when?

--
Please remove ".invalid" to reply by email.

Support the world's oldest motorsport venue!
http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/future.html
Old September 24th 04, 04:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

What you are referring to is usage based charging. I think BT implemented
this system to enable ISP's to offer lower prices to rival dialup to
persuade more people to get broadband. This isn't so bad as many people
still on dialup only use the internet for web browsing and msn. Or use the
internet very rarely which doens't justify paying a basic set monthly fee.

In my own opinion there will always be unlimited tariffs as the ISP charges
more compared to capped tariffs.

If unlimited tariffs were to be abolished and in exchange have capped
products at 30gb for 512, 60gb for 1Mb wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.
People who use significantly more than that are abusing the service anyway.
It's not meant to be a alternative to a leased line.

BT shouldn't have bandwidth problems at all yet because of the relatively
low speeds they offer compared to other countries. However in my own case
when I've upgraded to higher speeds I haven't actually downloaded more per
month. I'm simply impatient.

My 2 cents.

Dan

Old September 24th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
One2Go

David Buttery wrote in
:

wherein he said this:

with the way BT are charging for ADSL at present (ie capacity based
charging), I think it will be inevitable that capping on a grand
scale will come into place for your total data transfer and no ISP
will be able to afford subsidising an "Unlimited" service.

That's as clear a signal as you could hope for that PlusNet are at
least thinking about introducing some form of capping in the
foreseeable future, I would have thought. And if they do, I imagine
most or all of their competitors will do the same eventually. Those
of you who are more knowledgeable than me (ie most of you!), any
ideas on what might happen and when?

I just changed over to a 2Meg line with the Premier bandwidth option. That
bandwidth option is at present uncapped. You also pay more than the other
bandwidth plans. In a sense they already reduced their bandwidth demands by
offering low cost broadband plans. As with everything else they just want
your best your money.

One2Go
Old September 24th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Dan wrote:

If unlimited tariffs were to be abolished and in exchange have
capped products at 30gb for 512, 60gb for 1Mb wouldn't be so bad in
my opinion. People who use significantly more than that are abusing
the service anyway. It's not meant to be a alternative to a leased
line.

Only problem with those limits is that some ISP's count upload & dowload of
data in their measurements. I'm not a 'heavy/power user' but I can easily
rack up 2gig in a period of 24 hours but I don't actually download half that
much.

Double your figures & maybe it'll be a bit more reasonable.......

By the way, I haven't changed any of my online habits from when I was on the
dreaded NTL & yet they never sent me one of their little missives despite
their 1gig per day cap.

The _BIG_ argument should be what is going to be counted, just the data
downloaded by me or both that & the data uploaded from me, it will make a
big difference.

Old September 24th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Kráftéé" wrote:

Double your figures & maybe it'll be a bit more reasonable.......

(so for 500 knps that would mean 30 - 60 GB/month !)

When looking at Virgin.Net's 'fair usage' they expect users to have
less than *20* GB a month on their 24.99 account ('plan one', now
they have added 'plan two' with 3 GB cap). Peter M.