Which router for 2 laptops

Old September 24th 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Cooper

Default Which router for 2 laptops

I am connected to BT Broadband by BT supplied Voyager 105 usb modem. My
wife and I only have laptops and I want to be able to use both to access
BT Broadband. I aasume a router will allow us to do this-if so whichn
one? Printer sharing would also be useful. We both run Windows XP, I
have sp2 installed and my wife XP home with sp1. My wife's notebook is
wireless enabled and mine is not.

Any advice would be most welcome as I am quite new to all this.

Thanks Neil
Old September 24th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Neil Cooper on 24/Sep/2004 08:46:
I am connected to BT Broadband by BT supplied Voyager 105 usb modem. My
wife and I only have laptops and I want to be able to use both to access
BT Broadband. I aasume a router will allow us to do this-if so whichn
one? Printer sharing would also be useful. We both run Windows XP, I
have sp2 installed and my wife XP home with sp1. My wife's notebook is
wireless enabled and mine is not.

Any advice would be most welcome as I am quite new to all this.

Thanks Neil

Probably just about anything with Wireless. I use a Draytek Vigor 2600G which is
a superb bit of kit but probably overkill for what you want. However, it does
have excellent wireless coverage and good throughput.

You should be a little cautious of claims about printer sharing as it doesn't
always work, you might want to check out on whatever forums are available for
whatever you do choose that your printer works. My Brother Laser has a network
card so there is no problem at all, it's when you plug in a USB printer that you
might get some problems.

Certainly choose one that has dual aerials as that will give you better wireless
coverage. Remember that moving the aerials (at either end) just an inch or so
either way may make a very large difference to reception.

For your none wireless laptop, get a simple USB wireless adaptor, I've had ones
from eBuyer and SavaStore, in both cases the cheapest one available and they
work great. You can put the adaptor on the end of a USB extension cable and so
get the best reception -- usually much better than a laptop with built-in wireless.

Hopefully you already have a decent personal firewall installed? Not the rubbish
that MS supply. Get ZoneAlarm or Kerio Personal Firewall or something similar &
if you've been using the usb modem, virus check and adware check your PCs after
installation. The router should have some form of firewall built-in but you
should continue to use the personal firewalls too.

Have fun,

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old September 24th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Neil Cooper wrote:

I am connected to BT Broadband by BT supplied Voyager 105 usb modem.
My wife and I only have laptops and I want to be able to use both to
access BT Broadband. I aasume a router will allow us to do this-if so
whichn one? Printer sharing would also be useful. We both run Windows
XP, I have sp2 installed and my wife XP home with sp1. My wife's
notebook is wireless enabled and mine is not.

Any advice would be most welcome as I am quite new to all this.

Thanks Neil

Does you wife's wireless-enabled PC also have a wired network port? Does
yours also have one? Do you need to be able to operate either or both PCs in
lots of different places round the house?

If both PCs have ethernet network ports, and are always operated in the same
place, you don't actually *need* a wireless router - a wired one will do.

If you want to go wireless, many wireless routers come bundled with a "free"
PCMCIA wireless card - which you could fit into your PC provided it has a
free slot.

By printer sharing, do you mean that you want the printers to be physically
plugged into the router? If so, this could be tricky. If you simply want
(say) your wife's PC to be able to use a printer which is plugged into your
PC, this is a doddle and will work with *any* router.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 24th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Cooper

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Neil Cooper wrote:

[...]

Neither of us have a wired network port. We want to use each laptop in
different places in the house.
Simply want wife's laptop to use a printer connected to my laptop.
Thanks for the reply.
Neil
Old September 24th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Neil Cooper wrote:

Neither of us have a wired network port. We want to use each laptop in
different places in the house.
Simply want wife's laptop to use a printer connected to my laptop.
Thanks for the reply.
Neil

In that case, a wireless router is probably the way to go. Printer sharing
won't be a problem.

Wireless routers invariably have up to 4 wired ports in addition to the
wireless facility. It is strongly advised that, when configuring the router,
you do so using a PC connected to a *wired* port. It is all too easy to make
an accidental change to the config - particularly when setting up the
security parameters - which results in no longer being able to talk to the
router wirelessly until corrected. If this happens, and you don't have a
wired connection, you're stuffed!

It would be worth investing in a PCMCIA ethernet network card which can be
used in one or other of the PCs for router config operations (and removed at
other times).
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 24th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:06:44 +0100, Neil Cooper
wrote:

snip

Neither of us have a wired network port.

I'd be amazed if you were actually right on that. I have never seen a
laptop for sale with built in wireless that doesn't also have an
Ethernet port.

And I can't recall seeing any laptop at all without one for a few
years now, although I am usually looking at fairly high spec machines.

If you are both using XP, you have reasonably new machines :-)

We want to use each laptop in
different places in the house.

In that case, you definitely want a wireless router. There are some
good deals to be had at www.misco.com (prices exclude VAT), which
often include a bundled PCMCIA card that you can use in your laptop.

I bought the 3Com one from there last week, and so far have been very
happy indeed with it.

Use the Ethernet port on one of the laptops when setting it up (there
*will* be an Ethernet port, believe me), because the wireless
connection is a little more fiddly to get going, and you *may* mess up
the security settings at some point.

You may find you want to install SP2 on her machine as well. I found
that my laptop with built in wireless was not showing WPA security as
possible until after I installed SP2.

Simply want wife's laptop to use a printer connected to my laptop.
Thanks for the reply.

In which case, just set up Windows file and printer sharing on her
laptop (you'll probably want it on yours as well).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Experience is a good teacher but her fees are high...