How To See BT Router

Old September 24th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolo Malibu

Default How To See BT Router

Hi there.

I've recently migrated my broadband connection to PlusNet, but am
having probs setting my hardware up. This is probably a very basic
networking question, but I'm no expert on networking. Any help would
be appreciated.

Right. I need to connect to my BT router to change my username and
password from my old Easynet ones to my new PlusNet ones, but I can't
figure out how to connect to the router :-s.

I've set my machine to DHCP, and it does get assigned an IP address
from somewhere (169.254.32.28 - what is this address?), but no other
details show on IPCONFIG.

I understand that the internal address for the router should be
192.168.254.254, but when I try and connect to this I get nothing, and
nothing at 192.168.0.1.

I've removed my firewall, and everything else from the setup, so it's
just one PC straight into the back of the router now.

Any ideas? Do I need to set the gateway to this 254.254 address
somewhere maybe?

Much thanks.

KR.

Old September 24th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Rolo Malibu wrote:
[...]

It seems like you've forgotten what the IP address of your router is. The
best way around that would be to do a "manual reset" of the router. Do this
by pushing an unbent paperclip (or such) into the little hole marked "Reset"
on your router. This will set all of the router defaults to their factory
settings. Then find the manual which came with the router and go from there.

Alternatively, come back with the make and model of your router and someone
on here should be able to help.

Old September 24th 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In roups.com within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Rolo Malibu' wrote:

I've set my machine to DHCP, and it does get assigned an IP address
from somewhere (169.254.32.28 - what is this address?), but no other
details show on IPCONFIG.

I'll be interested to hear more about this, though on first glance I
wonder if your router is actually working as a DHCP server.

The IP block around your IP is mentioned in RFC 3330

169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block. It is allocated for
communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these
addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not
be found.

Other than that (and perhaps slightly more helpfully g) have you
tried doing a traceroute - using the 'tracert' command under windows -
to an external address?

I imagine that the first result from say 'tracert 216.239.37.99'
(entered from dos command line) would be the IP of your router. I
don't think you'd need an active external connection for that to work.

Corrections anyone?
--
Dave Johnson -
Old September 24th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Rolo Malibu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there.

I've set my machine to DHCP, and it does get assigned an IP address
from somewhere (169.254.32.28 - what is this address?), but no other
details show on IPCONFIG.

This is an IP Autoconfiguration address which the PC has generated because it
has not got a response from the DHCP server.

I have a laptop which keeps getting an address like this at random for reasons I
can not work out. If I am lucky I reboot and I get a proper address.

If I rung winipcfg on Win 98 the address is specifically called an IP

Old September 24th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

Your router's address may be 192.168.1.1; that's the address of my BT
Voyager. Type this address into Internet Explorer and it should take you
straight to the router front page. From there you can access the setup page
to input your username and password.

You will want the router's DHCP to assign IP numbers, *not* your PC. You
will probably find that DHCP on the router is set on by default; if not
switch it on (having first made sure that you switch Windows DHCP off on
your PC). You may need to re-boot your PC after switching DHCP off.

Old September 24th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

[...]

If you are using the 5861, there's some good info here...
http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op...ticles&secid=2

HTH, Ali

Old September 25th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"DMG" wrote in
:

Type this address into Internet Explorer and it should take you
straight to the router front page.

That's not going to work whilst the computer is running off the auto-
config DHCP failback address.

My advice would either be as someone has said, find the factory defaults
reset button and figure out how it works. Some routers just require it to
be held down for x amount of time whilst others require it to be held
down whilst the router is powered on.
It should come back up with a DHCP server running.

If you can't get that to work, manually assign an IP (say 192.168.254.253
if you think the router is on the IP 192.168.254.254). Then put the IP
into your web browser and hope you got it right.

--
Colin
Old September 26th 04, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

cw wrote:
"DMG" wrote in
:

Type this address into Internet Explorer and it should take you
straight to the router front page.

That's not going to work whilst the computer is running off the
auto- config DHCP failback address.

My advice would either be as someone has said, find the factory
defaults reset button and figure out how it works. Some routers
just require it to be held down for x amount of time whilst others
require it to be held down whilst the router is powered on.
It should come back up with a DHCP server running.

If you can't get that to work, manually assign an IP (say
192.168.254.253 if you think the router is on the IP
192.168.254.254). Then put the IP into your web browser and hope
you got it right.

If it's a 'liberated' BT router then the above may get you to the login page
_but_ without resetting the kernel (which I understand is possible without
the propietry softwarebut haven't tried it) it will not do you much good at
all as you still won't know the IP table which has been programed into it.

There used to be a couple of sites telling users how to 'crack' these
routers but I paid little interest when they bandied around on the
newsgroup. sorry...

Old September 26th 04, 02:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meurig Freeman

Michael Chare wrote:
"Rolo Malibu" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi there.

I've set my machine to DHCP, and it does get assigned an IP address
from somewhere (169.254.32.28 - what is this address?), but no other
details show on IPCONFIG.

This is an IP Autoconfiguration address which the PC has generated because it
has not got a response from the DHCP server.

I have a laptop which keeps getting an address like this at random for reasons I
can not work out. If I am lucky I reboot and I get a proper address.

Instead of a full blown reboot you could try running ipconfig /renew

This forces all adapters to try and renew their dhcp leases.

--
Meurig
(http://xboxmods.meurig.com - modded xbox for sale)
Old September 27th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wolo

Thanks for all the info! :

I managed to connect to my router and change my login details. I used
the old address it was running on when I was with Easynet. I didn't
realise it would have this set somehow.

Still no connectivity though - I think the router's having an identity
crisis.

When I was with Easynet, I had a 2mb line with static IPs. I've now
migrated to PlusNet. For the purposes of getting this to work I have
just the BT router and one PC running XP.

The only way I can get the machines to recognise the router is if I use
my old Easynet settings, and connect to it via the gateway address it
had when I was with Easynet. Doing this I can access it via my
browser. I changed the router login details to my new PlusNet ones,
and it connected okay. So the router can see the Internet, and my
machines can see my router, but my machines can't see the internet :-s.

I tried using the PlusNet config info in the online help, and spoke to
their helpdesk and tried using:

PC: 192.168.254.100
Router: 192.168.254.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

But my machine is unable to browse to the router at all on this
address.

So is the BT router configured with a local address for the network?
How can I change this, or does it require a BT engineer? I'm led to
believe that my router only wants to play on it's old address.

I tried resetting the router with that little hole at the back by
putting the end of a paper clip in there and holding it for 5 secs. It
didn't seem to do anything of note so I presume that didn't reset it
:-s. If I can reset it, would that restore it to the default
192.168.254.254?
Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.