Email to Fax - Re-think required!

Old September 24th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Email to Fax - Re-think required!

There have been lots of discussions in this NG about how ADSL users can best
send and receive faxes - preferably without needing to use analog fax/modems
over voice lines.

Incoming faxes are no problem - using Fax-to-email facilities provided by
some ISPs or by third parties.

As a PlusNet user, I use their facility for the *very* occasional fax I
receive, using the 0870 number which they have allocated to me. BUT, this
number will lapse if not used every so often (90 days, I think). This means
that I need to send myself a fax at regular intervals to prevent the number
form lasping.

For outgoing faxes, I have been using the free email-to-fax facility
provided by iddd.tpc.int - including sending one to myself to stop my
PlusNet-provided fax number from lapsing. When I first did this, I was
surprised that iddd.tpc.int allowed faxes to be sent to non-geographic
numbers.

Perhaps not surprisingly, therefore, they no longer do so! I tried to send
myself a fax today and got this response:

"Your facsimile job to +44870706xxxx was rejected because:
REJECT: Sorry, we can't let you dial premium rate numbers"

So it's back to the drawing board! I shall have to dust off my old analog
fax/modem and use that instead!

Unless . . . Does anyone know of a free email to fax service which *does*
allow faxes to be sent to 0870 numbers?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 24th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

So it's back to the drawing board! I shall have to dust off my old analog
fax/modem and use that instead!

or make a business enquiry where a fax number is an option for a response
(some ask for user preference for contact, just select the fax option !)
Old September 24th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
[...]

It must be a common problem or maybe just a coincidence.
I wanted to send a Fax this am. I'd naively assumed that because
Fax2email was available, the converse was as well.
My DUM doesn't exist anymore - so no solution there.
Perhaps there isn't much demand (but obviously some) and I
suppose Fax is dying out in favour of email.

Maybe as we're both PlusNet users I wonder if they'd like to comment ?

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old September 24th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

On 24 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

So it's back to the drawing board! I shall have to dust off my old
analog fax/modem and use that instead!

or make a business enquiry where a fax number is an option for a
response (some ask for user preference for contact, just select the
fax option !)

You mean use iddd.tpc.int to send a free fax to a geographic number - and
get the recipient to send a fax to my 0870 number? Brilliant!

I couldn't do it more than once with the same outfit though! (but I'm sure
there are plenty to choose from)
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 24th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

You mean use iddd.tpc.int to send a free fax to a geographic number - and
get the recipient to send a fax to my 0870 number? Brilliant!

not exactly... I would find a customer enquiry form where fax answers were
an option. Anyway, considering the effort it would make more sense to use
your fax modem and pay 30p a year for 6 calls, one every 2 months !! PGM
Old September 24th 04, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

On 24/09/04, 11:45:16, "Tiscali Tim" wrote regarding
[...]

Try www.ourfax.com

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old September 24th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

Ian Donaldson wrote:

Try www.ourfax.com

Would I be right in thinking that any fax sent this way gets
advertisements added before delivery?

--
Alec McKenzie

Old September 24th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

Old September 24th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:33:46 +0100, [Alec McKenzie] said :-

Ian Donaldson wrote:

Try www.ourfax.com

Would I be right in thinking that any fax sent this way gets
advertisements added before delivery?

Nobody in their right minds should use their service - the faq page is
riddled with spelling and grammar errors, not to mention other pages
with similar cock-ups.

They have invalid links sprinkled here and there, missing pictures
too.
Old September 24th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alec McKenzie wrote:

Ian Donaldson wrote:

Try www.ourfax.com

Would I be right in thinking that any fax sent this way gets
advertisements added before delivery?

Probably. But if I just use it to send a fax to myself to stop my
Fax-to-Email service from lapsing, it doesn't matter!
--
Cheers,
Tim