Microwave Bandwidth

Old September 24th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Microwave Bandwidth

Our exchange gets broadband next year but we are served by a microwave link
direct from the Stromness exchange(13 users on Isle of Graemsay - Orkney).
This was upgraded about 3 years ago but not sure it was a new unit. I
enquired by email as to the bandwidth we would be getting on the island and
after the usual BT delay was advised to phone the broadband centre. I phoned
and asked if they could give us the total bandwidth available to the island
and we would work out what we would individualy likey get but they didn't
know. Anybody know who is responsible for the BT microwave links and any
contact details? TIA -
email:quoys hat ntlworld.com

Old September 24th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

It should be sufficient. How many people have registered for BB? THe service
date is not until 27th July 2005 so they have plenty of time to sort the
link. Have you put your number into the availability checker at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btchecker.asp ?

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

The availablity checker will only give the results for someone with a direct
line link to the BT exchange. Though it is almost a year away and knowing
the speed with which BT works, if there is a bandwidth problem on the
microwave link then it could take a while for BT to sort out. I have just
had another reply from BT broadband which states that they have no knowledge
of microwave links but to go to their website for information, but that is
where I started. Surely as they fitted the unit they should have a
department who can supply the information. - Mike

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

The availablity checker will only give the results for someone with a direct
line link to the BT exchange. Though it is almost a year away and knowing
the speed with which BT works, if there is a bandwidth problem on the
microwave link then it could take a while for BT to sort out. I have just
had another reply from BT broadband which states that they have no knowledge
of microwave links but to go to their website for information, but that is
where I started. Surely as they fitted the unit they should have a
department who can supply the information. - Mike

I also live in an area served by a microwave link and similarly can't
get anywhere with similar questions. However, in my case BT state that
as the exchange is not even "System X" compatible, it will most probably
"never" be upgraded. Guess the answer is a "conflagration" in the
exchange!
The even more annoying thing is that the exchange serving the satellite
exchange IS already enabled and I could well be within range of that, if
only I had a long bit of wire!!!!!!.

Wally Hayward

Old September 25th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Sorry I must been asleep when I replied. You need a copper connection for
ADSL. Maybe the Highlands and Islands Developement people (Or whatever they
called now) would be a place to ask.

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

Old September 25th 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Walter Hayward" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

[...]

I'll have to sit down and write a letter to Mr Carmichael MP and see what he
can sort out.
He is a pretty good bloke on this type of issue and was a great help when
Murdoch tried to get everyone who relied on satellite for digital tv to
subscribe to his rubbish channels as well. Really pushed on that issue and
kept us well informed.
If it comes to it I'll have to get a wireless network with a yagi set up to
access BB from a house in Stromness which is in line of sight.
Mike

Old September 26th 04, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Gee Six Jay N Ess at spamcop.net

Depends if the OP has copper to a very small exchange (on Graemsay) and
is then only on microwave to get off the island. It would be OK if the
DSLAM is on the island as they will be copper to it, not otherwise.

Some parallels to the setup at my parents that I have been trying to get
my head around. Their exchange (posts passim) seems to offer dial-up
connections at 19k6 - 26k4 to several users (so worse than normal
results of DACS). However they show as OK on line check but the
exchange (Madderty, 39 applicants) is on the 'never ADSL' list.

I had a look around outside the exchange last week and found one of these:
18 Ghz NEC Link equipment - Model TRP 18G

Which if it is the same as one being sold on the internet makes it a :
Rx 18630 Mhz, Tx 18750 Mhz @ 23.1 dBm output

Any rural telecoms folk recognise this, and what it can / can't do ?

Or as I think, is the interesting and potentially limiting kit inside
the exchange ?

Bill