D-Link Warning

Old September 24th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CT

Default D-Link Warning

Attention, do NOT buy the D-Link DSL-604T

This modem/router is just no FUN!

What's the point of something that works perfectly straight out of the box,
and requires only a minute to set it up?!

Home networking enthusiasts want to fiddle, and pither, and faff, and fart,
and download lots of firmware, updates/patches/bug fixes, etc, etc

We want to be part of a world-wide congregation - all desperately trying to
get their modem/router working properly, we want to swap tips, share
frustrations, console each other's tragedies, and celebrate each others
triumphs!

WE DO NOT simply want to plug it in and forget about it while it beavers
quietly away doing exactly what it says on the box!

In short, we want a Linksys WAG54G - NOT a smugly working D-Link!

Old September 24th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:58:51 +0100, CT wrote:

Attention, do NOT buy the D-Link DSL-604T

This modem/router is just no FUN!

Don't care about fun, I would just like it to work.,

Their wireless access point was the biggest piece of flying ****e I have
ever been unlucky enough to use; the support site was also untested with
browsers other then IE. They don't test their kit.

What's the point of something that works perfectly straight out of the
box, and requires only a minute to set it up?!

If only.

Home networking enthusiasts want to fiddle, and pither, and faff, and
fart, and download lots of firmware, updates/patches/bug fixes, etc, etc

Indeed, they want to look at the log when a wireless piece of kit that
worked perfectly before no longer works with their D-Link. Well tough
****, you are fiddling, therefore the D-Link piece of crap will lock up -
everytime, 100% guaranteed.

We want to be part of a world-wide congregation - all desperately trying
to get their modem/router working properly, we want to swap tips, share
frustrations, console each other's tragedies, and celebrate each others
triumphs!

Indeed, with D-link, you are guaranteed that swapping tips etc with be
pointless, swap tips all you like, it still will not work.

So you box said "grey piece of ****, never works".

Old September 25th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

CT wrote:
Attention, do NOT buy the D-Link DSL-604T

This modem/router is just no FUN!

What's the point of something that works perfectly straight out of
the box, and requires only a minute to set it up?!

Home networking enthusiasts want to fiddle, and pither, and faff, and
fart, and download lots of firmware, updates/patches/bug fixes, etc,
etc
We want to be part of a world-wide congregation - all desperately
trying to get their modem/router working properly, we want to swap
tips, share frustrations, console each other's tragedies, and
celebrate each others triumphs!

WE DO NOT simply want to plug it in and forget about it while it
beavers quietly away doing exactly what it says on the box!

In short, we want a Linksys WAG54G - NOT a smugly working D-Link!

I noted the tongue in cheek sarcasm. It does as it says - works straight
out of the box. My SOHO LAN is all D-Link equipment and is working fine! 6
PCs - 4 wired, 2 wireless - for 15 months or so now.

For the record :-
DSL 300G+ modem
DI 624 Router
DWL-G520 PCI Wireless adapter (x2)

Its all good.

Old September 25th 04, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , CT writes
In short, we want a Linksys WAG54G - NOT a smugly working D-Link!

Well my Wag54G is fine - setup & go in early August - still going now..
--
Nigel J Carron

Old September 25th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Cook

CT wrote:

Attention, do NOT buy the D-Link DSL-604T

This modem/router is just no FUN!

What's the point of something that works perfectly straight out of the box,
and requires only a minute to set it up?!

Sure, it works straight out of the box, though requires more like 30
minutes to set up than 1.

Then it stops working after 12 hours and has to be replaced. Then
replaced again, and finally returned for refund.

It's DHCP server leaves something to be desired too.

Stay well away.

//Andrew
Old September 25th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:54:41 +0100, Paul King wrote:

CT wrote:
[...]

Just try connecting non-dlink kit then you will have problems which you
cannot diagnose because they crash when you try to view the logs - why
bother add features when they are untested and blatantly do not work.